Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kanji Handwriting

Kanji Handwriting

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Kanji Handwriting

Postby Kisshu » Sun 03.16.2008 10:46 pm

Does anyone know of a webpage or something where I can see a handwriting version of kanji? Recently, when I started taking actual Japanese class, I realized the difference between the Genki book's kanji, and the actual handwritten stuff. Although the Genki's kanji isn't the same as most type fonts, there is a big difference between it (because the Genki's kanji is written with a brush, but usually, people write with a pencil... so it looks quite different.)

Anyways, any suggestions? I'm sorry if the post is really badly worded. I'm typing in my porch, and all my family is talking really loudly around me, and I'm having a hard time concentrating. :?
Kisshu

Re: Kanji Handwriting

Postby AJBryant » Sun 03.16.2008 11:40 pm

AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Sairana » Mon 03.17.2008 1:09 am

Tony, looks like that site is all calligraphy? I really can't read Japanese very well yet so I could easily be missing something obvious.

I think Kisshu is looking for penji. Maybe. :)

There's... this site. I haven't actually used it much myself because I couldn't read Japanese well enough to understand the explanations, and then forgot about it. It's been collecting dust in my bookmarks. ^_^ Glad you asked, Kisshu!

Oh, and then there's this site. It has more comprehensive coverage of penji basics, but actually it's still to complicated for me to quite understand their method. The kanji don't appear to be introduced in any particular organized way, though I'm sure many useful tips can be gleaned even for a novice (not necessarily mean you, but anyone else who reads this thread. ^_^ )
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby chikara » Mon 03.17.2008 1:50 am

Sairana wrote:..... I really can't read Japanese very well yet so I could easily be missing something obvious. .....

I believe that is the case :)

The site Tony-san has linked to has examples of hand written kanji, for example 愛;

The kanji at top left is quite easily recognisable as 愛 but the kanji below it is not. Recognising these hand written variations is the problem that Kisshu-san is having and one that I share. :)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Sairana » Mon 03.17.2008 2:27 am

I guess I make an unusual distinction between "handwriting" and "calligraphy". I consider handwriting as that which one does every day with a pen or pencil, and calligraphy what you do with special tools for stylistic reasons.

If handwriting refers to using the brush, then what would be the equivalent of calligraphy, and what do Japanese call writing done with a pen/pencil? I thought penji was just sort of an invented term by JSL/JFL students.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby ss » Mon 03.17.2008 3:37 am

Kisshu wrote:
Although the Genki's kanji isn't the same as most type fonts, there is a big difference between it (because the Genki's kanji is written with a brush, but usually, people write with a pencil... so it looks quite different.)

Anyways, any suggestions? I'm sorry if the post is really badly worded. I'm typing in my porch, and all my family is talking really loudly around me, and I'm having a hard time concentrating. :?

Kisshu, would you mind scan a page of Genki and upload it here? Sometimes, I really wonder if we are using the same Genki series books. Most kanji in the books are printed in standard Japanese font, not in brush form, or maybe I'm missing something there?

Perhaps you might want to learn radicals/stroke orders?
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby atreya » Mon 03.17.2008 9:21 am

SS wrote:Kisshu, would you mind scan a page of Genki and upload it here? Sometimes, I really wonder if we are using the same Genki series books. Most kanji in the books are printed in standard Japanese font, not in brush form, or maybe I'm missing something there?

Perhaps you might want to learn radicals/stroke orders?

The textbook uses a Kyokashotai font. This type is generally used in text books for beginners. The one that I am studying from also uses a similar font. Here is how it looks like generally -

@Sairana

Super links! The PDFs are great. Thanks a lot... :D
atreya

Postby yukamina » Mon 03.17.2008 1:50 pm

The lessons here http://japanese.about.com/od/writing/Writing.htm are kind of hand written.
yukamina

Postby Kisshu » Mon 03.17.2008 3:20 pm

Kisshu, would you mind scan a page of Genki and upload it here? Sometimes, I really wonder if we are using the same Genki series books. Most kanji in the books are printed in standard Japanese font, not in brush form, or maybe I'm missing something there?

Perhaps you might want to learn radicals/stroke orders?[/quote]

Lol. I was saying that the FONT is like a prinsh stroke with different levels of thickness and thinness (haha?) that you can't make with a pencil.

I DO learn the radicals and stroke orders, but... what does that have to do with handwriting??? Anywho, yes, I'm talking about penji? Is that what it's called? Thanks for the help guys!!
Kisshu

Postby ss » Mon 03.17.2008 7:16 pm

Muahahaha …. LOL!!! Sorry Kisshu, I’m still trying to understand your problem.

I think there might be some cultural difference. I don’t quite understand what it means “the actual handwritten stuff”. I thought it also applied to English as well.

When we were kids (4 – 8 years old), we learned to write with a pencil. At the age of 9 onwards, we started to learn to write with pen. Granted, I learned to write with a brush at the age of 10 as extra co-curricular activity. To me, good handwriting could also mean something readable. So, radicals and stroke order do have impact on handwriting. If someone writes with the wrong stroke order, their kanji will look different.

I hope I didn’t cause further confusion, sorry about that. Image
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby skrhgh3b » Mon 03.17.2008 10:16 pm

きれいな漢字を書こう!小学生の漢字

http://www.geocities.jp/ki07ji/

highly recommended.
♪夢も見たくない 幸せなんか要らない
恋もしたくない お金なんか要らない
ぼくに必要な眠りを眠らせておくれ♪
skrhgh3b

Postby chikara » Mon 03.17.2008 11:04 pm

Sairana wrote:... . and then there's this site. It has more comprehensive coverage of penji basics, but actually it's still to complicated for me to quite understand their method. .....

skrhgh3b wrote:......
http://www.geocities.jp/ki07ji/

highly recommended.

I wonder why that site looks familiar ;)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby skrhgh3b » Mon 03.17.2008 11:43 pm

ah, sorry, i didn't click on that link...

it looks like it's turned into a pay-site, but it used to be free and luckily i downloaded all of their pdfs before they made the switch.

if you have access to a japanese bookstore, it's not difficult to find books on improving one's pen-ji.
♪夢も見たくない 幸せなんか要らない
恋もしたくない お金なんか要らない
ぼくに必要な眠りを眠らせておくれ♪
skrhgh3b

Postby atreya » Tue 03.18.2008 8:46 am

skrhgh3b wrote:ah, sorry, i didn't click on that link...

it looks like it's turned into a pay-site, but it used to be free and luckily i downloaded all of their pdfs before they made the switch.

if you have access to a japanese bookstore, it's not difficult to find books on improving one's pen-ji.

But I was able to download some pdfs there. Are they just previews?
atreya

Postby Qaantar » Tue 03.18.2008 9:14 am

Well, this is *sort* of what you're asking....

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/avmj/index.html

It's a new training software from Nintendo that gives you guidance on writing characters beautifully.

But I guess the question is .... do you want to learn how to write characters nicely, or do you want to see/learn how Japanese people tend to write characters when they write? If the former, you've seen a number of quoted resources. If the latter, then I would start tracking down lots of hand-written samples. It will vary *a lot* by each person.
Qaantar

Next

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips