Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Has anyone had experience with "Minna no Nihongo"?

Has anyone had experience with "Minna no Nihongo"?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Has anyone had experience with "Minna no Nihongo"?

Postby Omnistegan » Sun 03.23.2008 2:50 pm

Hey guys,

I just wanted to drop in and ask if anyone has any reviews or suggestions in regards to the Minna no Nihongo series. My friend, who is currently dtudying in Japan, suggested them. At the time I was planning on buying the Genki series but her reccomendation made me think twice. I did some googling and found mostly positive reviews (though not as positive as Genki).

Thanks in advance.

- Graham
Omnistegan

Re: Has anyone had experience with "Minna no Nihongo"?

Postby p-chan » Tue 03.25.2008 8:24 pm

I'm searching for a good book too

so far these are the best so far

genki <- I've read many positive feedbacks
minna no nihongo <- many people are recommending it, so it must be good... :shock:

others
shinn no nihongo <-- based on what I know it's almost simillar to minna no nihongo, so far it's ok.. easy to understand;
japanese for busy people <-- borrowed from a friend and it's contents are ok
japanese in mangaland <-- one of the top seller in the japanese page's book store, saw some preview in amazon. for more info you can see the thread I've made about japanese in mangaland
p-chan

Postby somenube » Thu 03.27.2008 1:46 pm

I have been using Genki and it is a very good textbook but it goes at a very fast pace. It was designed for college students so It is a little on the tough side. :D
somenube

Postby Deathofme » Thu 03.27.2008 1:59 pm

I'm using Elementary Japanese. Comes in 2 volumes that includes CDs. It really helped me improve my Japanese.

A lesson is like this : listening, usage notes, grammar, exercises (mostly group/classroom exercises but you can do them by yourself using a pen and paper), kanji, vocabulary. A lesson is recommanded to take one week to complete. If you spend an hour per day or even a bit less on the book you should be able to complete a lesson per week.

It is not as high rated as Genji but it was pretty affordable to me, I ordered from Amazon. From my current experience it's a very good book. I already had a base in Japanese but I'm sure that even without it the book would still have helped a lot. This is the second best thing that happened to me, the first one is being friend with a Japanese.

Things it changed for me:
-reading faster
-visualisation of words and kanji in my head when I think about them
-sentences construction
-better hearing comprehension (altough it still is hard sometimes because the speaking speed is very fast)
-better kanji writting and reading memory
-making it possible to have a conversationnal level of Japanese
+僕の日本ゆめ+
Deathofme

Postby kayuu » Thu 03.27.2008 3:50 pm

I've used both Minna no Nihongo and Genki. I must say I actually prefer to use Minna no Nihongo.

There's more exercises available with the different textbooks that you could buy depending on what you want to improve on (listening, writing, kanji, etc.).

The main textbook is entirely Japanese which I find handy because I don't get tempted to look at the English translations when I try to figure things out for myself the first time round. The grammar explanations I find to be easier to undrstand in MNN, too.

My only prefernce for Genki is the way they present verbs. MNN gives them all in masu form where I would have preferred them in dictionary form.
kayuu

Native language: 英語

Postby HarakoMeshi » Fri 03.28.2008 4:54 pm

I just want to check, when people say "Minna no Nihongo" do they mean "Minna no Nihongo" or do they mean "Japanese for Everyone" ? As far as I know these are different books. Someone please correct me if I'm worng on that.

I've used Japanese for Everyone and thought it was very good. It has a lot of excercises to get the basic grammar down. I used Genki in some classes before, and I personally preferred JFE over Genki.
HarakoMeshi

Postby Wakannai » Fri 03.28.2008 5:52 pm

HarakoMeshi wrote:I just want to check, when people say "Minna no Nihongo" do they mean "Minna no Nihongo" or do they mean "Japanese for Everyone" ? As far as I know these are different books. Someone please correct me if I'm worng on that.

I've used Japanese for Everyone and thought it was very good. It has a lot of excercises to get the basic grammar down. I used Genki in some classes before, and I personally preferred JFE over Genki.

Yes, they are definitely different books. JFE is alot more dense per page than Genki, but won't take the user as far. MnN is more a complete course like Genki. I haven't had a chance to compare them side-by-side yet, although I expect to at some point in the future.
Wakannai

Postby kayuu » Fri 03.28.2008 5:55 pm

HarakoMeshi wrote:I just want to check, when people say "Minna no Nihongo" do they mean "Minna no Nihongo" or do they mean "Japanese for Everyone" ? As far as I know these are different books. Someone please correct me if I'm worng on that.

I'd never heard of 'Japanese for Everyone', but as you might know Minna no Nihongo means Japanese for Everyone in Japanese, so I could imagine it would be referred to as that. However, we are speaking about Minna no Nihongo by '3A Corporation'.
kayuu

Native language: 英語

Postby sei » Fri 03.28.2008 6:32 pm

kayuu wrote:I'd never heard of 'Japanese for Everyone', but as you might know Minna no Nihongo means Japanese for Everyone in Japanese, so I could imagine it would be referred to as that. However, we are speaking about Minna no Nihongo by '3A Corporation'.

Yes but, like Wakannai said, they are completely different books. The title should not be translated. Minna no Nihongo is the title of the book (it says so in Roman alphabet if you see the cover) while Japanese for Everyone is...Japanese for Everyone. That's the tittle. It's really confusing when people refer to Minna no Nihongo as Japanese for Everyone...
Questions? Feel free to ask. :)
sei

Native language: Portuguese

Postby Krysta » Mon 04.07.2008 5:21 am

At the moment I am using the MnN series in University.
I worked with Genki for a little while to on my own, but I really prefer the MnN series because it kind of feels more profesional.
Plus the listening excersices in MnN are spoken in a fast Japanese, which is how my Japanese teacher normally speaks (actually most Japanese) while Genki was just too slow for me. Also It seems to be going awfully fast with al the verbs. MnN goes a little bit slower than that. For example, Genki starts with the te-form in chapter 4 or so. While MnN starts with that in lesson 14, by wich time you already know some basic Japanese and have a bigger vocabulary.
And I liked the fact that MnN had every verb in masu form because dictionary form has rules and masu does not, (i.e. it always ends the same).
Like somebody before me said, There are a lot more excersices in general with the MnN books.
I can't think of any more reasons why I like MnN better..... Maybe the Kanji section of MnN isn't the best around, mainly because the kanji workbook does not have the answers in them (or if they do I can't find them, and by answers I mean the Kun and On-jomi). Kanji 1 (English edition) does have it (also MnN), plus excelent excersises, but its ofcourse only the basic kanji.
With these books I have gotten great grades on the test. Not trying to brag here, but just to show that they work really good for me, I got a 9 out of 10 twice (out of 2 tests).
So I hope the things I've said here are of use. And good luck on learning the Japanese language!
Krysta

Postby Triddy » Mon 04.07.2008 2:10 pm

Krysta wrote:Also It seems to be going awfully fast with al the verbs. MnN goes a little bit slower than that. For example, Genki starts with the te-form in chapter 4 or so. While MnN starts with that in lesson 14, by wich time you already know some basic Japanese and have a bigger vocabulary.
And I liked the fact that MnN had every verb in masu form because dictionary form has rules and masu does not, (i.e. it always ends the same).

Things like this are purely personal preference, I suppose. I would have to disagree with everything here.

To me, the -te (Yay for no IME on school computers) is one of the most useful things you learn early on. To take 14 chapters to get to it is just hindering yourself, and unneccessarily slow. I can't think of much you would learn in 14 chapters before the -te form other than vocab. 4 chapters may be a bit fast, I agree, but 14 is just way too slow.

Also, presenting the verbs in the -masu form hurts. When you finally do get around to other conjugations, it gets confusing, especially for some of the slower students. Take a simple verb in the masu form; narimasu works well. Tell a student just learning of the plain negative to put narimasu into the plain negative. Many of them will instantly say narinai, simply because "narimasu" doesn't tell you whether the verb is naru or nariru. While this is a bit of a stretch because of how common naru is, the same thing can, and does, happen with other verbs. It has other issues, too. I don't know how many people I have told in my High School Japanese that of course tabemasu won't be in the dictionary.
Triddy

Postby Krysta » Mon 04.07.2008 3:35 pm

The chapters in MnN are a bit shorter than in the Genki books.
MnN's grammer is mostly about the diffrent partikels, the adjectives, joining sentences, the whole counting system, and some other basic things like the tai-form, masenka, mashouka and such before tackling the te-form, in lesson 14,15 and 16, nai-form in lesson 17 and jisho-form in lesson 18. I always made perfect sense to me in class.
Also we do 1 chapter a week so it goes pretty fast. I guess if you study at home its a bit diffrent. Never had to study on my own.
But I agree on it being personal preference.
Krysta

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips