Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Text Book Help!

Text Book Help!

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Text Book Help!

Postby Christian_ » Thu 08.04.2005 11:34 am

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could suggest to me a book that tought you everything like i mastered the kana and i would like to buy a book that covered kanji, jukugo, grammer, vocabulary, basic lessons, etc i looked at genki and JFBP and i dont like them they seem to only teach you to write basic stuff in kana and thats not how real japanese is it has kanji and kana. I just wasted my money on a 20 dollar book that is called a guide to reading and writing japanese all it is is all the kanji written with their stroke order meaning and readings and then i bought a good grammer book which i actually got. If anyone had a suggestion they could tell me that would be great, i am tired of wasting my money i had over 300 dollars saved up and i dont want to be broke. Buying al this stuff is getting me paranoid and im gonna go see what i can do to earn some cash lol but if anyone had a suggestion for a book that covered everything that would be great. I dont know if this book does but i saw it and maybe someone could look at it its called Colloquial Japanese and you can search it at barnes and noble.com it might not have everything i dont know if anyone knew a book that had everything i would be completeluy gratefull, thanks!:)
Christian_

RE: Text Book Help!

Postby Schattenjedi » Thu 08.04.2005 12:02 pm

If you're strapped for cash, use this site for grammar:
http://www.guidetojapanese.org/

the world wide web to find kanji/jukugo to learn, and this site to look them up:
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/wwwjdic.html
Schattenjedi

Postby Christian_ » Thu 08.04.2005 1:19 pm

thanks i can afford another book i just dont want to waste any money do you suggest any books?;)
Christian_

Postby Qbe » Thu 08.04.2005 1:56 pm

Two threads below yours is a long one called "Which textbook to use?" It has a lot of good textbook information and can probably help you out.

Personally I recommend "Japanese for Everyone". It assumes that you know kana from the start and introduces a few new kanji in each lesson. You get dialogs, vocabulary (about 2500 words, I think), grammar notes, exercises and reading practice. There's a lot of content crammed into it and for $20 (amazon) it's a steal.

However, you'll need some dedication to work through it, and you'll probably want a study partner or at least someone you can ask questions. You'll probably want to supplement the grammar as well.
Qbe

Postby Christian_ » Thu 08.04.2005 2:27 pm

i have an extra grammer book that is realy nice its by barron books its called Japanese Grammer for only 6.95 its printed in two colors orange and black that really helps i like it. well im gonna look into the book and i think ill take your word for it and buy it. then i am gonna do something to make back the 40 dollars ive spent on text books lol. thanks for the advice:)
Christian_

Postby okolenui » Thu 08.04.2005 3:25 pm

Actually, the Genki book expects you to know hiragana and katakana, but it goes though teaching kanji and it starts off with basic grammar, conjigation, etc. Then there's a vol.2 and workbooks that help. This is one book that doesn't focus on teaching you hiragana and katakana at all.
okolenui

Postby Christian_ » Thu 08.04.2005 4:21 pm

oh maybe ill think about that um does anyone suggest read japanese today, i might just struggle with the books i have now because in september im taking classes and ill be doing that for 8 weeks i guess by then ill know a little more and finish up learning with a good book or something anyway Thanks for all the help ive posted about stuff like this 4 times and im really sorry if i got annyoing thanks for all the help!:)
Christian_

Postby Qbe » Thu 08.04.2005 4:43 pm

"Read Japanese Today" is only about kanji. It's an interesting book: it takes a look at some of the etymological background of about 300 kanji, giving you meaning and readings. It may not be what you're looking for, but it's an ok book on its own.
Qbe

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips