Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Best way to increase listening comprehension?

Best way to increase listening comprehension?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Best way to increase listening comprehension?

Postby Triddy » Wed 04.09.2008 2:47 pm

Why is it that everything I post is a question? :D

Anyways, my school has a group of 54 Japanese girls coming for a day on April 21st. Because we are in Japanese 12, each person in my class will be paired off with one of them and required to converse with them, in Japanese. The teacher has told us that she will be giving us a few simple questions we have to get them to answer, and it is a minor assignment. Honestly, because each answer is going to be different, one could probably BS everything and get away fine. However, I want to take it seriously.

Because I can read and write Japanese acceptably (Though not well by any means), I'm probably going to carry around a small pad of paper for things I have trouble saying. However, they are still going to be responding in Japanese, and I'm going to have to say SOMETHING to not seem rude. So for the past day, the big, red, 'I'm screwed' light in my head has been flashing in time to an alarm.

So basically, when you guys were learning Japanese (Or as you are learning now.) how did you practice your speaking comprehension? What proved effective? I have 2 weeks to practice as much as humanly possible.
Triddy

Re: Best way to increase listening comprehension?

Postby richvh » Wed 04.09.2008 3:07 pm

The best way, without a doubt, is actual conversation on a regular basis.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Triddy » Wed 04.09.2008 7:11 pm

Alright then, what would be the second best?

The one complaint I have about my teacher is that she does not speak enough Japanese. She will speak to us in Japanese occasionally, but usually it is slow or simple so that everyone is able to follow along.
Triddy

Postby chikara » Wed 04.09.2008 7:23 pm

Triddy wrote:.... how did you practice your speaking comprehension? .....

Don't you mean "listening comprehension"? If you don't understand (comprehend) what you are saying (speaking) why say it?

I don't have the opportunity to practice conversation in Japanese on a regular basis so in order to improve my listening comprehension I have used the CD's that come with the UNICOM JLPT study books (available from theJapanShop.com). I listen to the vocab sections over and over again to train my ear to recognise the words. Listening to the grammar section helps to listen to short sentences and pick the individual words etc.

Triddy wrote:.... I have 2 weeks to practice as much as humanly possible ...

I don't know how much improvement you'll see in two weeks.

がんばって :)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Triddy » Wed 04.09.2008 9:57 pm

Oh, whoops :D

I wrote the whole first post in about 5 minutes during class. I didn't take the time to check it over for any blatant errors such as that. *Edits*

Anyways, I'm going to see if I can find the audio tapes for Japanese For Everyone, and use that to practice. I know I won't make a huge improvement in 2 weeks, but I'm hoping. Besides, once I find a way that works for me, I will continue it long past the two weeks.
Triddy

Postby RiderofNesme » Thu 04.10.2008 10:19 pm

Man you are so lucky to be able to converse with 54 Japanese girls.
RiderofNesme

Postby まったん » Sat 04.12.2008 5:32 am

Try any music?

You will definitely be able to learn to understand the spoken words at various speeds, it helps if you have the lyrics somewhere too to follow along. :3

Music doesn't help much with original speech, but you can usually pick and choose stuff out of songs that you can use.
まったん

Native language: 英語

Postby Triddy » Sat 04.12.2008 2:02 pm

Perhaps because by definition songs do not follow the rhythym of speech, I can pick out every word in a song, usually without problem. Show me some speech, and I get lost within 10 seconds.
Triddy

Postby まったん » Sat 04.12.2008 3:35 pm

I was thinkin' of stuff like Maximum that Hormone like fast stuff that is run together.

I just don't really see how its that much more difficult... >.>

I never encountered this problem before when I was an exchange student, I just had the problem of conveying what I wanted to say, either that or I was just nervous... =X

Maybe you should try finding some J-dramas online and watch them. I think that might help.
まったん

Native language: 英語

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips