Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese for Young People?

Japanese for Young People?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Japanese for Young People?

Postby GraceyLike » Thu 04.17.2008 7:23 am

I was just wondering if anyone had bought this book before. I think it's a textbook, in a three part series. It looks quite good to me, i was just wondering if anyone had any comments/reviews about it, because I want to make sure before I buy it.
Other text books I have looked like are too sophisicated (if you know what I mean). I find it hard to understand the English =O Even though it's my first language. XD
GraceyLike

Re: Japanese for Young People?

Postby sei » Thu 04.17.2008 2:35 pm

I have the first book.

You said you were 12/13 years old right? If that's so, I think this book might be good. It barely uses any English though. It lays out the exercises in a way that you'll understand (sometimes with a bit of difficulty) what they are expecting you to do. Though that is one of the things I don't really like the book for, I think for you it might be good. Besides, it's really colourful and appealing, so for your age it should be just perfect.

There are no answers to the exercises though. You shouldn't have a problem with getting it right if you just double check... It's pretty clear what the answer is if you follow the lesson. They make it so it starts on really, really basic exercises and slowly move on to harder ones.

It moves slowly as expected for a junior/high school textbook. And as it says in the beginning of the book, if you complete the 3 books of the series, you'll have 1/3 of the grammatical structures needed for a beginner. (Though too be honest I feel like it's more than a half.)

Over all, I think it's a good book. And if you're having trouble with books for college students and so, then I think this one would be very good.

You might consider getting the workbook if you don't know the Kana, as it seems good and from what I remember (though would be better to double check somewhere) I think it complements the lessons as well. Though you can very easily (and for free) learn Kana through the Internet (like this site).

I don't have the second and third books, but I'll tell you what it says about them in this book, regarding kanji.
The second book introduces 70 kanji, which you can then practice in the workbook. The third book teaches you 80 kanji, which you also practice in the workbook (workbooks are bought separately).

I can't talk about the cassette tapes since I don't know much about them. There's marked sections in the student books and the workbooks which are in the cassettes, and would probably be good if you don't have access to other listening practice material.

The lessons are organized as follows:

Key Sentences. They give you 4 or 5 sentences which introduce a grammar point. This is VERY important point about the book. It does NOT give an explanation of grammar. It's supposed to be used in a class environment, for that reason, they probably would expect the teacher to give the explanations. Though with the sentences and the vocabulary they give you, you do understand what the grammar point is about, and the exercises help more in it. There are a few tables on the book with some grammar points as well.

Exercises. There are quite a few exercises in my opinion, and you get to practice writing a lot... They don't tell you what you have to do, you figure it through the examples, as I have said before. There's a list of more vocabulary after the exercises which are essential to the exercises most of the time. So it's better to check there first before doing the exercises.

Main Dialogue.
As the name says, they present you with a dialog here. It uses the patterns shown in the key sentences as well as some new expressions for you to learn. I find them pretty useful. They give you more vocabulary here for whatever hasn't been shown before. In the next page, there's a comic in English, which allows you to understand the dialogs better by following it. It usually has incomplete balloons or empty ones. I'm not sure what this is about, I guess for some interaction for the class to find what the person was supposed to say or something. Not sure.

Short Dialogues. Just a few more dialogs, usually 2. Also, more expressions and vocab. They don't necessarily are on the same subject as the rest of the lesson.

Sometimes there are some curiosities around this area of the lesson as well.

Tasks. Some lessons have this, which are directed for doing with classmates, but you can practice it alone of course. They give you an example dialog of how you should ask the things and so.

Quiz. A very useful quiz. And here they tell you what you have to do. So it's my favourite part. ^^ And the last exercise is usually something fun like matching words or something.

I think that's it. There are also some summary tables throughout the books. Like for numbers, days of the week, days of the month, months, verb conjugations, etc.

Hope that clears something up for you.

Sorry for the long post.
Questions? Feel free to ask. :)
sei

Native language: Portuguese

Postby GraceyLike » Thu 05.01.2008 11:44 am

ありがとうございます!That looks like a very good Japanese textbook ^_^. I think I'll start saving up for it, I'll hunt around and see who sells it the cheapest. I can read kana, so I should be fine with it. Also, for the group/partener activites, I have a friend who is learning Japanese too.
You see, I really need Japanese material, because I only have a Japanese dictionary and some vocab sheets!
Do you know of any other material that younger people can use when learning Japanese?
Thank you!
GraceyLike

Postby sei » Thu 05.01.2008 1:54 pm

I guess I could say children's stories. But that's for every beginner too. Clay-san has some Graded readers in the Bookstore that are pretty good from what I have heard.

Apart from that, nothing else is coming to my mind.
Questions? Feel free to ask. :)
sei

Native language: Portuguese

Postby GraceyLike » Sat 05.03.2008 6:52 am

Thanks =D
Sorry, who/what's Claysan?
XDD
GraceyLike

Postby richvh » Sat 05.03.2008 7:04 am

Clay is our gracious host.