Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Could this help?

Could this help?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Could this help?

Postby カスミイ » Wed 04.23.2008 5:47 pm

I own a few japanese Manga, full japanese, and I was wondering, would reading manga actually help me learn Japanese; Even just the Hirigana / Katakana? I wanna try to understand my Kingdom Hearts II Manga. x3

So, can this help at all?

(Oh, and forgive me if this is in the wrong section, it seemed like it should be put here.)
カスミイ

Re: Could this help?

Postby richvh » Wed 04.23.2008 6:17 pm

As a beginner (and if you're still struggling with kana, you probably are,) you're unlikely to be able to understand it. Manga use a lot of colloquial grammar and contractions that you're unlikely to learn from a textbook. Search the archives, and you'll find other threads on the topic, and there's even a page (or more) on it in the Wagawiki.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby カスミイ » Wed 04.23.2008 8:04 pm

Actually, Katakana is the alphebet I know best for Japanese. :3

But thank you, I appriciate it.
カスミイ

Postby chikara » Wed 04.23.2008 9:31 pm

richvh wrote:... if you're still struggling with kana .....

カスミイ wrote:Actually, Katakana is the alphebet I know best for Japanese. ....

Kana is the collective term for katakana and hiragana. The kana are syllabaries not alphabets :)

As katakana is mostly used for writing loan words in Japanese you would be better off if you new hiragana best ;)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby カスミイ » Thu 04.24.2008 8:28 pm

chikara wrote:Kana is the collective term for katakana and hiragana. The kana are syllabaries not alphabets :)

Oops, I'm sorry. ^^' Not used to actually talking to people who have been studying japanese, I just assumed wrongly. x3
カスミイ

Postby Kudo Masaki » Sun 05.11.2008 8:27 pm

Manga has alot of grammar that you wont find in textbooks and complex kanji, so I dont think you will be able to understand it if you dont know alot of Japanese, you might wanna take more classes and get better in your japanese then try it.

I can understand some of it because I have been learning for a while and have gotten into kanji, just learn some more and then try it. You might be able to understand some of it, but very little.
Kudo Masaki

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 05.12.2008 9:20 am

As Kudo Masaki said, without a good basis in the grammar it's pretty much impossible to read native Japanese text, no matter what it is. There are just too many things that you can't look up in dictionaries, and they're hard to find in grammar dictionaries unless you already know what you're looking for.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips