Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Palm OS software "CJKOS" - does anyone use this?

Palm OS software "CJKOS" - does anyone use this?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Palm OS software "CJKOS" - does anyone use this?

Postby Miaow » Sat 05.03.2008 1:28 pm

Hello,

I've got a Palm Centro (mobile phone (smartphone) with Palm OS 5.4.9. Has anyone here been successful in getting CJKOS to display Japanese characters correctly? There are a lot of options to select from when installing it - and no online help for a guide. When I installed it and selected either of the two Japanese encoding systems (Shift JIS being one, and one other. EUC something, I believe), I'd get some Kanji and never Hiragana or Katakana. It would display a couple Kanji among other randome characters like the super-scripted "TM" and accented letters and whatnot.

Has anyone here successfully gotten CJKOS to work on their Palm with the Japanese settings? I'd like to view TJP on my Palm, and I'd like Japanese characters to display correctly.

Are there any other Palm OS applications other than CJKOS that other here have tried and found to display Japanese accurately? Has anyone here used CJKOS?

Thanks in advance for any help!

~* Miaow *~
=^_^=
= ^. .^ =
~Miaow~
にゃあにゃあ
Miaow

Re: Palm OS software "CJKOS" - does anyone use this?

Postby richvh » Sat 05.03.2008 1:34 pm

I use J-OS for display and POBox for input on my Palm TX; I haven't tried CJKOS.

One problem you may be having is that TJP is encoded in UTF-8, not Shift-JIS or EUC-JP. I think J-OS only handles Shift-JIS, so changing to that won't help you.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips