Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese for Everyone textbook

Japanese for Everyone textbook

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Japanese for Everyone textbook

Postby Miaow » Sat 05.03.2008 6:50 pm

Hello,

I've been "collecting" Japanese textbooks for some time, and finally, since I was able to get the Japanese for Everyone textbook, workbook, Kanji book, and audio, I'm going to use this for my main textbook, supplementing when needed with "Japanese: the Spoken Language" for its awesomely detailed grammar explanations) I'm curious - who else here is using "Japanese for Everyone"? Maybe we can put together a study group?

Has anyone here completed "Japanese for Everyone"? I'm curious as to what ones level of Japanese (Intermediate? Upper Intermediate? Advanced?) skill is after completing this book and its companions. The total Kanji count learned after completion is 526. Would that be sufficient for taking JLPT 4? what about 3?

Thanks in advance!

*~ Miaow ~*
=^_^=
= ^. .^ =
~Miaow~
にゃあにゃあ
Miaow

Re: Japanese for Everyone textbook

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 05.03.2008 7:08 pm

Miaow wrote: supplementing when needed with "Japanese: the Spoken Language" for its awesomely detailed grammar explanations)

Good choice. :) I don't know anything about JfE, but I teach JSL and I agree that the grammar explanations are great. The textbook can't really be used for self-study as a whole, but it's a great grammar supplement no matter what your level. I have learned a huge amount about Japanese from this book even when I had long since supposedly "mastered" the patterns introduced.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Algoze » Sun 05.04.2008 11:08 pm

Well judging only the ammount of kanji. Then is more than what is needed for JLPT 3 but half of what is needed for JLPT 2.

Look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_L ... iency_Test

or here http://www.thejapanesepage.com/node/332
Algoze

Postby mae-art » Thu 05.08.2008 7:28 am

Is it "Minna no Nihongo"?

If yes, I study in Japanese language school using this series. In my language edition, it contains 4 books. As far as I know, the first half (through lesson 25) cover JLPT4 and the second half (through Lesson 50) cover JLPT3.

After completion, I think its just intermediate because the class after MN series is still in intermediate Japaneses class.
mae-art

Postby Wakannai » Thu 05.08.2008 7:48 am

mae-art wrote:Is it "Minna no Nihongo"?

If yes, I study in Japanese language school using this series. In my language edition, it contains 4 books. As far as I know, the first half (through lesson 25) cover JLPT4 and the second half (through Lesson 50) cover JLPT3.

After completion, I think its just intermediate because the class after MN series is still in intermediate Japaneses class.

Minna no Nihongo and Japanese for Everyone are two different books by different authors. Minna no Nihongo is a bit more in-depth than Japanese for Everyone, which is equivalent to only one textbook, with no workbook.
Wakannai

Postby Miaow » Mon 05.12.2008 5:48 pm

Actually, there IS a Workbook and Kanji book for "Japanese for Everyone". The ISBN numbers are:

JfE Workbook: ISBN4-05-151695-4
JfE Kanji Book: ISBN4-05-151696-2

I special ordered these book from White Rabbit Express. They were both around $30 before shipping from Japan.
= ^. .^ =
~Miaow~
にゃあにゃあ
Miaow

Postby Miaow » Thu 05.15.2008 12:33 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
Miaow wrote: supplementing when needed with "Japanese: the Spoken Language" for its awesomely detailed grammar explanations)

Good choice. :) I don't know anything about JfE, but I teach JSL and I agree that the grammar explanations are great. The textbook can't really be used for self-study as a whole, but it's a great grammar supplement no matter what your level. I have learned a huge amount about Japanese from this book even when I had long since supposedly "mastered" the patterns introduced.

Actually, I was first introduced to JSL via taking a "SILP" (Self-Instructional Language Program) course at the local community college. (I was disappointed it wasn't a full-fledged course that integrated reading and writing with speaking, pronunciation, and listening, but it was all that was offered.) The class had 5 other students and a "tutor" (they stressed before taking the class that the "Tutor" was not to be confused with a "Teacher". The Tutor was there to guide us in our pronunciation skills only - grammar was up to us.) There were no formal written assignments, or tests (except for an oral one at the end). We got to about Chapter 6 if I recall right.

Previous to this I had been plodding along with Japanese for Busy People, and the depth of Jorden's grammar descriptions were really exciting to me, after the sparse JfBP.

But the lack of learning the ability to *read* Japanese as well as understand grammar had me searching for a kana-oriented text. (Oh man, I just counted: I have 35 Japanese books - texts, workbooks, readers, kana books, kanji books, dictionary.... :shock: heh.) Anyway, since I was able to obtain the workbook and kanji book and audio for JfE, I finally have began in earnest to study again.

JfE gives me the kana and kanji I want from a text, and JSL is just so wonderfully in-depth. I also like how JfE is authored by a Japanese person, and JSL is authored by an native English speaker who went through the learning process and is able to articulate the intricacies of Japanese so well.

I'm also using Ms. Jorden's "Reading Japanese" for (obviously) reading practice. I like how they have reading passages in both standard text and handwritten, and notes on the reading passages. Ms. Jorden is so thorough, I am saddened when I read reviews and posts bashing her books.

Though it bothers me that she didn't make "Japanese the Written Language", the companion to JSL, as thorough. But that's another post....
= ^. .^ =
~Miaow~
にゃあにゃあ
Miaow

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips