Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Casio Gp9700

Casio Gp9700

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Casio Gp9700

Postby Wakannai » Tue 05.06.2008 7:34 am

Ok, Mine came in today and I've been fiddling with it trying to get my basics down. So far I've gotten the major stuff J-E but it seems to be lacking a good E-J dictionary. It's good that I can take my Kanji Learner's dictionary out of my backpack since I bought the digital version, but I seem to still be stuck with carrying my Kodansha's Communicative E-J Dictionary around. Do I have to buy something like it separately? The E-J dictionaries in there are written for Japanese people, so the usage notes and all in Japanese.
Wakannai

Re: Casio Gp9700

Postby clay » Tue 05.06.2008 8:46 am

The E-J dictionaries in there are written for Japanese people,

Actually all dictionaries (except the Kanji Learners) are. We are lucky the J-E is so good. I heard rumors of Casio thinking on the lines of making a dictionary specifically for Japanese learners, but it may be just that.

For E-J lookups, you'll have to highlight the word in question and jump to the J-E to get the meaning (or shade of meaning) and pronunciation. Usually the most common definition is right after the number '1.' Or if there is a [] or 《》 or () it will be right after that.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby Wakannai » Tue 05.06.2008 12:00 pm

clay wrote:
The E-J dictionaries in there are written for Japanese people,

Actually all dictionaries (except the Kanji Learners) are. We are lucky the J-E is so good. I heard rumors of Casio thinking on the lines of making a dictionary specifically for Japanese learners, but it may be just that.

For E-J lookups, you'll have to highlight the word in question and jump to the J-E to get the meaning (or shade of meaning) and pronunciation. Usually the most common definition is right after the number '1.' Or if there is a [] or 《》 or () it will be right after that.

well, I don't need a electric dictionary specifically for this, but they could have a card to plug in. The whole point of an e-j dictionary is to be able to quickly look up an English word and see all the different Japanese equivalents in order by context.

I guess I have to carry around my paper dictionary after all.
Wakannai

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 05.06.2008 12:40 pm

from what I rmember all these devices were made more for Japanese, not Americans.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby clay » Tue 05.06.2008 1:20 pm

well, I don't need a electric dictionary specifically for this, but they could have a card to plug in.

It would be nice to have a Learners E-J expansion CD. Here are all the choices (look under the GP series column)
http://casio.jp/exword/soft/
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips