Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Is this something that would be recommended?

Is this something that would be recommended?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Is this something that would be recommended?

Postby RiP70R » Tue 05.13.2008 10:24 pm

Hello I'm not sure if this has been asked before (probably) but I would like to get some idea if the way I wanna learn japanese is the way to go. I've been reading a lot the last few days trying to find some info about this. What I was thinking is learn japanese the same way a baby would do it. By that I mean listening to a LOT of radio programs, watching movies without focusing on the subtitles (and of course not understanding anything... yet), etc... and for the first few months just getting used to the "sound" of the language, then I guess some words will start to come depending on the situation I heard them without knowing what they mean still. And later I guess I will start to recognize some "object" like a car, umbrella...

I'm not sure if that's a really good idea but that's how we learned to speak our mother tongue, and I'm not exactly sure but I think that's a way I got better in english, 'cause school was boring but I was watching a lot of movies in english. The only difference with english is that I had school to learn the grammar.

So yea lol I would like to get some opinions from people that might have tried that before, if they succeeded, what would be the downside...

Thanks in advance and sorry if it's a dupe topic :(
RiP70R

Re: Is this something that would be recommended?

Postby becki_kanou » Tue 05.13.2008 10:53 pm

RiP70R wrote:I'm not sure if that's a really good idea but that's how we learned to speak our mother tongue, and I'm not exactly sure but I think that's a way I got better in english, 'cause school was boring but I was watching a lot of movies in english. The only difference with english is that I had school to learn the grammar.

Unfortunately while this works for babies, somewhere along the way we lose the ability to just learn a language natively through immersion, so for adults some amount of structured study is also required.

Which is not to say that you shouldn't do what you described above, but rather you should do that plus some structured study of grammar and vocabulary as well.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Re: Is this something that would be recommended?

Postby RiP70R » Tue 05.13.2008 11:10 pm

becki_kanou wrote:Unfortunately while this works for babies, somewhere along the way we lose the ability to just learn a language natively through immersion, so for adults some amount of structured study is also required.

Which is not to say that you shouldn't do what you described above, but rather you should do that plus some structured study of grammar and vocabulary as well.

That might be the reason for my english being really good after a couple years learning the basic grammar, the vocabulary got built at school for specific words and home after listening / watching.

Also what I just figured out is that being adult we already have the notion of what an object is, so we don't need to "learn" the word + his meaning if that makes sense at all lol since we already know a car is a car, we don't need to learn the japanese word + what it represents in real life.

Thanks for your answer.
RiP70R

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips