Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese the Written Lang - Field Edition since 1994? Why?

Japanese the Written Lang - Field Edition since 1994? Why?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Japanese the Written Lang - Field Edition since 1994? Why?

Postby Miaow » Wed 05.14.2008 9:08 pm

Hello,

This is something I've been wondering about for a looooong time.

Does anyone know why this book has been only a field test version since 1994? Will there ever be a "Japanese: The Written Language" to match the depth of "Reading Japanese", which was written in 1976, and (supposedly) corresponds chapter-by-chapter with JSL predecessor "Beginning Japanese"?

Likewise, JWL is supposed to correspond to words learned in JSL.

I see on Amazon that the Katakana chapters have been released in what appears to be a "finalized" book (book cover matches the designs for JSL), and there is a "JWL: Part 2, Field Test Edition on Amazon.

But WHY has it taken 14 years to publish only part of the book in a finalized form? :shock:

I did a search and can't find out the answer to this question. I thought someone here might have some insight.
= ^. .^ =
~Miaow~
にゃあにゃあ
Miaow

Re: Japanese the Written Lang - Field Edition since 1994? Why?

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 05.14.2008 9:38 pm

As with many things, it's time and budget. Mari Noda is the director of the Japanese language program at OSU, which leaves very little time for doing anything else. Also, for complicated reasons, writing textbooks is something that has to be done in addition to the usual article publication that professors are expected to do -- it cannot replace it.

It's just the unfortunate reality of academia that you can't always work on what you want to work on, or even on what needs to be worked on. Chinese is on the rise and Japanese is on the decline, and that affects everyone's budget and time.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Miaow » Thu 05.15.2008 8:43 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:As with many things, it's time and budget. Mari Noda is the director of the Japanese language program at OSU, which leaves very little time for doing anything else. Also, for complicated reasons, writing textbooks is something that has to be done in addition to the usual article publication that professors are expected to do -- it cannot replace it.

It's just the unfortunate reality of academia that you can't always work on what you want to work on, or even on what needs to be worked on. Chinese is on the rise and Japanese is on the decline, and that affects everyone's budget and time.

I see! Thank you *so much* for clearing that up for me! That makes tons of sense. My paradigm has totally shifted: from asking "Why", to being grateful Ms. Jorden and Ms. Noda were able to release the Field Editions to the public. :)
= ^. .^ =
~Miaow~
にゃあにゃあ
Miaow

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 05.15.2008 9:05 pm

I think more will come out some day, it just takes a while. There's also supposed to be a volume 3 of JWL (which is referred to in the green JWL 1 katakana book, but only in the Japanese language introduction). But 14 years in field test is unusually long, and I agree with you that JWL is inferior to Reading Japanese. (I guess I have no teaching experience with RJ but it looks better, at least.)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips