Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Plateau in learning.

Plateau in learning.

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Plateau in learning.

Postby yjimk » Fri 05.23.2008 12:28 pm

Hello everyone,

I've been observing these forums on and off for a while now, everyone seems very nice and knowledgeable. This is my first post. よろしくお願いします

I've recently moved to Japan (about 6 months ago) after almost a year of studying the language in Australia. However since moving to Japan I feel as if my Japanese has been stagnating. I would estimate my level to be pre-JLPT2. My kanji skills are ok (I like kanji! :D ). And I would say that my grammatical knowledge of the language is quite solid. I don't think hitting this plateau is due to a lack of study or commitment. Maybe just mis-focused energy.

For those of you on this forum who have above my level or had a similar experience, I would like to ask for your advice as to what you did in this situation. Plateaus are something we all have to face as I fully understand, but I think a fresh method of thinking or idea might help me immensely.

Thank you reading :D
yjimk

Re: Plateau in learning.

Postby fielle » Fri 05.23.2008 12:59 pm

I think I ran into the plateau of not really feeling like I was making any progress, feeling stuck and not really getting anywhere. I would try to read a book in Japanese, and just feel like I had to look up every. single. word. and it was more frustrating than anything else, as the next time I saw that word I would have already forgotten it again. So I gave up on that, and just went to studying words and grammar things, using various books (kanzen master books, old textbooks, an SRS program), and did it, without any thought or feeling of making real progress. But, just recently, I tried to read something I'd tried to read before, and found that it actually felt like reading now. I still had to look things up, but not nearly as often, and I was getting a better feel for sentences and sections as a whole.

I'm still struggling with speaking, but I found a person to talk with in Japanese (easier probably where you are than where I am!), and I think my current problem is mostly a lack of self-confidence. With speaking, I think you really have to be willing to say things sometimes that make no sense, and have a Japanese person who's willing to puzzle apart what you say with you and help you figure out what you wanted to say.

What methods are you using to study? I think one of the things that may help you would be to find some goal. Maybe find a book or manga (both have their benefits and detriments), and push your way through it. For a book, you could do a page in one sitting, for manga, maybe a chapter. If you have a television, you could try to watch a show every day (I am a fan of ゆうがたクインテット if that's still on--it's a children's show themed around a musical quintet), and do your best to understand what's going on. If you have a VCR or otherwise video recorder, actually try to make yourself a transcript of the program or segment. The online nhk news actually has videos where the accompanying articles are very close to being a transcript of the video.

I think one of the best ways to make progress after stagnation is something new and different--a different source, a different book, a different study method. Then go back to your old method after a few weeks or months, and see how much better you've gotten.
fielle

Native language: English

Postby Harisenbon » Fri 05.23.2008 11:21 pm

I understand the pains about feeling stagnant in your studying. I've been feeling that way for a while. Since you're still at the pre-2kyu level, I think you need to maybe focus on the test as a type of incentive. I'd get the Kanzen Master books, as they really amazing, and I'd supplement that by reading novels or newspapers on your own.

But honestly, perhaps the best way to get over a slump is to figure out what it is you want to do in Japanese, and then aim towards that. Do you want to read novels? Watch TV? Write books? Whatever you want to do, you should work towards that and then your studying will have more purpose, and hopefully energize you towards studying more.

Now if I could just follow my own advice. *laugh*
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby yjimk » Sat 05.24.2008 12:21 am

Thanks to both of you for your replies, they are much appreciated and you can be assured that your advicee will be taken on board :D

I most definitely need to reassess my goals and have a more specific plan regarding my study. Sitting for JLPT is a great goal, one I think henceforth will bring great drive to my studies. The Kanzen series of textbooks looks very interesting, however, there are several books that are in the 2kyu range. Do you have a recommendation as to which I should buy (or all).

Thanks once again.
yjimk

Postby fielle » Sat 05.24.2008 8:31 am

I think I'd start off with the grammar book, of the options.
fielle

Native language: English

Postby Harisenbon » Sat 05.24.2008 9:59 am

yjimk wrote:tthere are several books that are in the 2kyu range. Do you have a recommendation as to which I should buy (or all)..

If you want a well-rounded approach to the 2kyu, you should get all of them, as each of them covers a different aspect of the test. If you need to choose one, I would choose the one that covers your weakest point. I, for example, chose the kanji and grammar books, and left the reading, listening and vocab books for later. (although I eventually purchased those as well)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby yjimk » Sat 05.24.2008 9:00 pm

I've sent off my order through Amazon Japan for the Kanji and grammar books, there was only one more on the site which was the reading comprehension. Perhaps I will buy that one at a later date. Have to love the free and prompt shipping from Amazon in Japan, I wish they had one in Australia!
yjimk

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips