Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese for Busy People...

Japanese for Busy People...

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Japanese for Busy People...

Postby somenube » Fri 05.23.2008 8:45 pm

I was thinking about taking japanese classes this year in a college. The class goes till chapter 14. I have am most of the way done with the fourth JLPT. (I got a 59 on the test) All I need is a bigger vocabulary to pass. Is this class too easy for me?
somenube

Re: Japanese for Busy People...

Postby piepiepie75 » Fri 05.23.2008 9:18 pm

Yes, most probably. I assume by "chapter" you mean "Lesson" 14. If you want an idea of where you'd be, Lesson 14 talks about conjugating adjectives. Although, I'm sure the class wouldn't hurt for building on vocab, though that would be easy enough to do by yourself.
piepiepie75

Postby sushi4ever » Sat 05.24.2008 5:43 am

wow, that'd be incredibly slow, genki covers the subject of conjugating adjectives in lesson 5 :shock:

i think you'd make faster progress studying by yourself, although taking classes wouldn't hurt as well. (at least, YOU have classes available! ^^)
my japanese learning blog: http://pimpmysushi.livejournal.com
sushi4ever

Native language: German

Postby Wakannai » Sat 05.24.2008 6:10 am

wow, that'd be incredibly slow, genki covers the subject of conjugating adjectives in lesson 5

I think I should put a not-necessarily in here. Greater information density isn't automatically better. In theory it would be better, but a lot of the time, a bunch of short lessons with less coverage can be easier to learn from that fewer lessons that teach a lot. Progression is also different too. You can generally go through many short lessons faster than fewer longer ones. So a chapter-to-chapter comparison might not be germane. Actually, chapter-by-chapter comparisons aren't very useful between any two Language textbooks because they all prioritize differently. Also, progressing through lessons quickly gives a better sense of accomplishment, which helps keep students motivated.

I looked at the new edition of JfBP and it seems to have moved towards these shorter faster lessons than before.

However, for the OP at JLPT 4 level, pretty much any book you grab will have you re-learning stuff you already know. The main benefit of the class for you will be group exercises and teacher correction, or maybe to get credit for a higher level class. If these are not a high priority for you, then you might just stick with self-study and continue with whatever book you are using. If it is the group activities and teacher input that you want, then just keep in mind that, that, is the reason you are in class. Help out the other students for the stuff you already know and enjoy your self, you'll eventually start learning new stuff there.
Wakannai

Postby sushi4ever » Sat 05.24.2008 6:18 am

Wakannai wrote:
wow, that'd be incredibly slow, genki covers the subject of conjugating adjectives in lesson 5

I think I should put a not-necessarily in here. Greater information density isn't automatically better.

you're right there, i apologise. i just got up and didn't know what i was doing :|

of course it always depends on the individual.

classes are great for interacting with each other and having the opportunity to actually ask your teacher pretty much whatever pops into your mind immediately.
i wish i had this opportunity but they're not offering any japanese classes in the range of 100km here :shock:
my japanese learning blog: http://pimpmysushi.livejournal.com
sushi4ever

Native language: German

Postby somenube » Tue 05.27.2008 12:42 am

Well I already took a class under my level so I could get some practice and ect. But now I want to be challenged so I was thinking of skipping that class to the one above.
somenube

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 05.27.2008 7:34 am

somenube wrote:Well I already took a class under my level so I could get some practice and ect. But now I want to be challenged so I was thinking of skipping that class to the one above.

The person to ask this question to is the teacher, not us.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips