Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kanji practice game for the DS

Kanji practice game for the DS

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Kanji practice game for the DS

Postby becki_kanou » Tue 06.24.2008 1:50 am

Recently, I've been inspired by everyone's hard work here to start improving my kanji writing skills, which have always lagged seriously behind my speaking etc.

To that I end, I bought a new game for the DS called 「なぞって覚える大人の漢字練習完全版」. It's a really great study tool, as you can practice writing kanji as much as you like without wasting paper, and it offers traceble practice templates for more than 2,000 kanji with full stroke order diagrams. It has 10 difficulty levels from 小学一年生 all the way to adult, and has fun games, and tracing practice of the 百人一首 as well.

So far I'm loving it, and I'd recommend to anyone who has a basic foundation in kanji but wants to improve their handwriting and overall kanji knowledge.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Re: Kanji practice game for the DS

Postby chikara » Tue 06.24.2008 1:58 am

Sounds great. Do you know if it is available outside of Japan?
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 06.24.2008 2:29 am

Hmm... I had been using the kanji kentei game to study kanji, but it's not very good for learning or reinforcing the kanji, just for reviewing them.

I'll have to go pick up a copy of that on the way home from work tonight.

Also, Chikara, I'm sure that you can get a copy from amazon.co.jp or even play-asia.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby becki_kanou » Tue 06.24.2008 3:19 am

Harisenbon wrote:Hmm... I had been using the kanji kentei game to study kanji, but it's not very good for learning or reinforcing the kanji, just for reviewing them.

Exactly! I originally bought 漢検DS 2, but I was unsatisfied with the look-up system and lack of a stroke order guide. With なぞって覚える you can access a traceble stroke-order diagram directly from the lessons, whereas with 漢検 you have to go into dictionary mode, and they just show the stroke order, rather than allowing you to trace it.

Chikara- I just checked amazon.co.jp and they have it here
They ship to Aus (that's where you are, right?), but there is a ¥2,000 shipping fee.

edited: url tag problems have now been solved!
Last edited by becki_kanou on Tue 06.24.2008 3:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Postby Sairana » Tue 06.24.2008 3:20 am

chikara wrote:Sounds great. Do you know if it is available outside of Japan?

If your asking for the sake of convenience, then the rest of my post is pretty much meaningless. However, if you're concerned about region encoding, etc, I figured I'd toss this out there.

The DS is region free, supposedly to promote taking it along for travel and being able to buy games for it wherever you go. Unlike other gaming systems, you don't have to worry about having to mod your DS to play imported games.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby chikara » Tue 06.24.2008 3:41 am

Sairana wrote:If your asking for the sake of convenience, then the rest of my post is pretty much meaningless. However, if you're concerned about region encoding, etc, I figured I'd toss this out there.

The DS is region free, supposedly to promote taking it along for travel and being able to buy games for it wherever you go. Unlike other gaming systems, you don't have to worry about having to mod your DS to play imported games.

I was asking for the sake of convenience but the rest of your post was still of interest none the less.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 06.24.2008 3:47 am

Sairana wrote:Unlike other gaming systems, you don't have to worry about having to mod your DS to play imported games.

Actually, now Region-encoded Systems are the minority [/quibble]

DS, PSP, PS3 and XBox360(mostly) are all region-free for games.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby furrykef » Tue 06.24.2008 5:53 am

I don't think Amazon.co.jp will ship games or other DS software, though. If I recall, they only ship books, CDs, DVDs, and videos. Computer software isn't included in CDs or DVDs, either.

But in case you order anything else from Amazon:

becki_kanou wrote:but there is a ¥2,000 shipping fee.

What I do is I buy as much as I can from amazon.co.jp in one shot. That reduces the relative impact of the shipping fee, since it applies once to the entire package no matter how much stuff you buy. (Be aware there's an additional ¥300 fee per for each item, though.) In other words, if there's stuff you'd still want to buy later, it may be cheaper to get it now and have it all in one shipment, and get hit by the ¥2,000 fee once.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby becki_kanou » Tue 06.24.2008 7:15 am

furrykef wrote:I don't think Amazon.co.jp will ship games or other DS software, though. If I recall, they only ship books, CDs, DVDs, and videos. Computer software isn't included in CDs or DVDs, either.

Oops, you're right, I didn't notice that.
amazon.co.jp wrote:Health & Beauty, Sports & Outdoor, Toys & Hobbies, software, games, game consoles, Electronics, Home & Kitchen items and adult products can be shipped only to locations within Japan.

Sorry to get anyone's hopes up.
I see, however, Clay has some DS games available at the Japan Shop, maybe he can expand the selection? It seems like it might be popular. I don't know the logistics of that, but it's an idea...
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Postby hungryhotei » Tue 06.24.2008 7:42 am

I use http://www.yesasia.com to import my DS games and http://www.play-asia.com/ is also another good choice. The prices are also in US$ which makes it nice and cheap, yesasia prices inculde postage, but play asia's doesn't.

This game sounds interesting. I've been getting great use my kankenDS2 and still have a lot to go with my bimoji training, but I may take another look at this one too if it has such a good recommendation.
天気がいいから、散歩しましょう。
hungryhotei

Native language: English

Postby becki_kanou » Tue 06.24.2008 8:51 am

How is 美文字 training? That was another one that I was looking at in the shop the other day, and one of my students said she's using it. I kind of like the idea of the special pen as well.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Postby hungryhotei » Tue 06.24.2008 10:53 am

becki_kanou wrote:How is 美文字 training? That was another one that I was looking at in the shop the other day, and one of my students said she's using it. I kind of like the idea of the special pen as well.

I'm still undecided on 美文字 training. As you'd expect it only trains handwriting, so you never have to remember which kanji to use or write anything for memory. For each kanji you write it gives you useful advice on issues like balance and proportion, but I haven't used the software long enough yet to know just how much it will help.
天気がいいから、散歩しましょう。
hungryhotei

Native language: English

Postby becki_kanou » Tue 06.24.2008 10:59 am

hungryhotei wrote:I'm still undecided on 美文字 training. As you'd expect it only trains handwriting, so you never have to remember which kanji to use or write anything for memory. For each kanji you write it gives you useful advice on issues like balance and proportion, but I haven't used the software long enough yet to know just how much it will help.

Hmm...sounds interesting. Handwriting has always been my weakest area; my English handwriting's not even very good.

I'll put it on my list. (It's a very long list, and currently at the top is レイトン教授と悪魔の箱).
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Postby Pork Chop » Thu 07.24.2008 3:38 pm

I know this is a few minutes shy of being one month dead, but has anybody tried 正しい漢字かきとりくん?
I've got this game and I've been going through it a lot lately. I find it really helpful and I'm loving it.

It's broken up into grades 1-6 of 小学校; 1=80 kanji, 2=160, 3=200, 4=200, 5=185, 6=181 for a total of 1006 kanji; which may be a little short if you're trying to go for the whole Jouyou - but it's definitely a good start.
For each level, it has kakitori for hand writing, drills for remembering onyomi, kunyomi, and jukugo, a chikara dameshi test for testing you on the material, and even a mini-game at the end of each section, which is sometimes harder than the actual test.

There's a calendar that tracks how frequently you use the program and daily use gets extra little bonuses (usually a congrats from the funny little "host" of the game).
Pork Chop

Postby becki_kanou » Thu 07.24.2008 8:54 pm

Actually, that was one of the other games I looked at when deciding which kanji practice game to buy, but as you say, it only goes up to about 1000 kanji, so I gave it a miss. Nazotte oboeru has many of the same features you mentioned; broken up into school levels, tests on reading + writing, has other games etc.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Next

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips