Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Any vocablulary learning tips?

Any vocablulary learning tips?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Any vocablulary learning tips?

Postby Kudo Masaki » Sun 06.29.2008 2:52 pm

Im wanting to learn some vocabulary, does anyone have any tips on vocab learning? Thanks.
Kudo Masaki

Re: Any vocablulary learning tips?

Postby richvh » Sun 06.29.2008 2:55 pm

Yeah, read... Read all the dialogues in your textbook, then when you're done, find something interesting (in print or on the internet) and read that. Keep a dictionary handy. When you run into grammar points you don't understand, ask in the forum.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 06.29.2008 4:16 pm

Yep.

Two methods for learning vocabulary:
1. Follow your textbook
2. Learn them from something you are reading, listening to, or watching.

Any other method is unlikely to work. Out of context vocabulary that is not used or seen is quickly forgotten by the majority of people.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby furrykef » Sun 06.29.2008 6:41 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:Any other method is unlikely to work. Out of context vocabulary that is not used or seen is quickly forgotten by the majority of people.

I haven't found it particularly difficult to remember out-of-context vocabulary with flash cards. (Granted, I'm talking Spanish vocabulary and not Japanese here. I did have trouble with Japanese vocabulary, but that's because my cards were not well thought out.) But I have switched to learning sentences regardless because, even if the sentence doesn't shed any particular light on how the word I'm interested in is used, it gives me more of a "feel" for the language.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby piepiepie75 » Mon 06.30.2008 2:42 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:Yep.

Two methods for learning vocabulary:
1. Follow your textbook
2. Learn them from something you are reading, listening to, or watching.

Any other method is unlikely to work. Out of context vocabulary that is not used or seen is quickly forgotten by the majority of people.

Well, number two seems to work for me pretty well, but number one doesn't. Now, learning vocab from shows, music, etc. is nice and all, but I like things a little more...structured?

The current textbook I'm using (JFBP II) is doing wonders for me on grammar, but I've barely picked up any vocab from it. In the current lesson, it's introduced about 60 vocab words (Not mentioning words they used in the writing tasks) and only uses about 10 of them in the reading tasks, so there's no practice whatsoever.

Would it be helpful to do my own practices with words I look up on JLPT lists or whatever? For example, writing example sentences? Vocab pickup has never been my strong point, and I'd really like that to improve...
piepiepie75

Postby Sairana » Mon 06.30.2008 3:46 am

piepiepie75 wrote:Would it be helpful to do my own practices with words I look up on JLPT lists or whatever? For example, writing example sentences? Vocab pickup has never been my strong point, and I'd really like that to improve...

I've never used JFBP2, but if it's giving you vocab that it doesn't specifically drill, I'd imagine that it's at least giving you terms you could plug into the grammar structures it taught you that lesson.

For example (and I'm being ridiculously easy for the purpose of illustration): It teaches you how to say, "The dog is black." and proceeds to give you a list of animal names and colors. You can create a large number of sentences -- even more if you use previously used vocabulary from earlier in the book.

Use a little creativity to make the language come to life. Words are not sterile things, they must be meaningful to you in order to internalize them. Your book, unless it's an utterly inept text, has provided the tools for you to expand yourself without spoon-feeding it. Just because its examples don't make use of the vocabulary doesn't mean YOU can't. :D
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby chikara » Mon 06.30.2008 4:04 am

piepiepie75 wrote:..... The current textbook I'm using (JFBP II) is doing wonders for me on grammar, but I've barely picked up any vocab from it. In the current lesson, it's introduced about 60 vocab words (Not mentioning words they used in the writing tasks) and only uses about 10 of them in the reading tasks, so there's no practice whatsoever. ...

That is quite different to the edition I have. Each chapter has dialogues and an associated vocab list. Words introduced are then also used in later chapters. I'm not sure what you mean by the "writing tasks".
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby piepiepie75 » Mon 06.30.2008 4:07 pm

Sairana wrote:
piepiepie75 wrote:Would it be helpful to do my own practices with words I look up on JLPT lists or whatever? For example, writing example sentences? Vocab pickup has never been my strong point, and I'd really like that to improve...

I've never used JFBP2, but if it's giving you vocab that it doesn't specifically drill, I'd imagine that it's at least giving you terms you could plug into the grammar structures it taught you that lesson.

For example (and I'm being ridiculously easy for the purpose of illustration): It teaches you how to say, "The dog is black." and proceeds to give you a list of animal names and colors. You can create a large number of sentences -- even more if you use previously used vocabulary from earlier in the book.

Use a little creativity to make the language come to life. Words are not sterile things, they must be meaningful to you in order to internalize them. Your book, unless it's an utterly inept text, has provided the tools for you to expand yourself without spoon-feeding it. Just because its examples don't make use of the vocabulary doesn't mean YOU can't. :D

Ah, this method looks good...I can practice grammar and vocab at the same time. I've been using Renshuu.org for vocab study, which uses various quizzes and stuff to help you learn vocab. It's been more helpful than flash cards, but I think writing example sentences would be even better for vocab study. Thanks :D.

chikara wrote:
piepiepie75 wrote:..... The current textbook I'm using (JFBP II) is doing wonders for me on grammar, but I've barely picked up any vocab from it. In the current lesson, it's introduced about 60 vocab words (Not mentioning words they used in the writing tasks) and only uses about 10 of them in the reading tasks, so there's no practice whatsoever. ...

That is quite different to the edition I have. Each chapter has dialogues and an associated vocab list. Words introduced are then also used in later chapters. I'm not sure what you mean by the "writing tasks".

I mean like the practices that involve writing. I think they're called "Grammar exercises" or something in the book, but I just call them "Writing tasks" :oops:.

I guess if they use the vocab words later on it's ok....But I think it would be better to use those words as quickly as possible.
piepiepie75

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips