Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Writing Japanese vs. typing Japanese

Writing Japanese vs. typing Japanese

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Re: Writing Japanese vs. typing Japanese

Postby enji » Mon 07.21.2008 5:41 am

Feba wrote:On a slightly different subject, how big of a deal is handwriting skill in general? Are distorted kana/kanji easier or harder to read than English letters, generally speaking?

Speaking from my experience in dealing with Chinese, I guess it depends on the degree of distortion. But most of the time, you can guess what character is written either through context or the general shape of it. For me at least, distorted kana is giving me a bigger problem.

Ken Pro wrote:This is an issue for me sometimes due to being left-handed. I swear whoever invented kanji thought everyone should hold that brush with the right hand. I still can't write せ or any character with a soft right hook properly.

Being left-handed as well, it's a matter of adaptation IMO. I practised calligraphy in school for several years and sometimes I had to hold the brush at an awkward angle. Plus I don't really like to write long horizontal strokes. But then, left-handers can write from right to left without blotching or waiting for the ink to dry. :D

Regarding what Tony said, the same thing happened in the Chinese community as well. Left-handers were forced to use their right hands to write since young.
言いたくても言えなくて
enji

Postby ss » Mon 07.21.2008 8:22 am

Becki-san wrote:
Write early and write often.

100% agreed.
Handwriting practice is yet very essential even though you already know a large percentage of it.

I often hear friends (who are magazine suppliers) complain about the articles they received. Not that their stories are not original or interesting enough, most of the time, they are being picked apart as in addition to the poor quality of the handwriting, there are many wrong characters.

Enji-san wrote:
But then, left-handers can write from right to left without blotching or waiting for the ink to dry. :)

Hey, this is so true! :P

Each time I see discussion on handwriting, I’m always reminded of this joke
I am not Lin Danda :?
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby Ken Pro » Tue 07.22.2008 5:16 pm

I'm using a textbook which has an interesting way of introducing kanji. There are the "new kanji" of course, but then there are the "kanji for recognition," which are more complicated compound words that we are supposed to be able to identify on sight but not necessarily include as part of our writing exercises. In later lessons, those parts of the "kanji for recognition" are introduced the normal way, through writing exercises.

I like the staggered way of this: learn to write simple ones while learning to recognize more complicated ones, until you are at a stage where you can learn to write the complicated ones. But perhaps there will always be that gap between "learned kanji" and "recognized kanji".....
Ken Pro

Postby furrykef » Tue 07.22.2008 5:27 pm

I don't really believe in such a distinction myself, because it's much easier to recognize a kanji if you know how to write it. It's also very easy to miss things such as different radicals if you go by recognition alone. It doesn't help that some radicals look really similar (木 vs. 禾 being probably the worst offender).

The day will come where you will recognize more kanji than you know how to write, but I don't think that day should be while you're still formally studying them.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Previous

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips