Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Rosetta Stone - is it worth the price tag? Is it any good?

Rosetta Stone - is it worth the price tag? Is it any good?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Was Rosetta Stone a good learning device for you?

Yes
17%
No
35%
I never tried it
43%
I have a different software reccomendation
4%

Total votes : 23

Rosetta Stone - is it worth the price tag? Is it any good?

Postby Myuka » Tue 08.12.2008 9:37 pm

Hi,
I've been lagging in my Japanese studies ever since I got back from Japan. I went for a semester as an exchange student. Now I'm trying to get back in the game but having trouble starting. While in Japanese I studied with the Kumon method and got pretty far, although I was rushed so I really need to look at some of the grammar again.

Anyway, so I'm getting tired of flipping through my text books(I have Ima(1 and 2 and the workbooks) Kumon A-F, and Nakama 1 and 2) and am looking for something a little more interactice to help me study. I also want to learn other languages to(I want to be an interpretor). The demo on the Rosetta Stone website was kind of odd but, I got it.

So anyway if anyone has ever tried it let me know. Next time I see the commercial I think they say they'll send you a lesson free, I might try that. But please let me know how it went for you, or if you can reccomend any other software.

Edit: Miawow - (asked it my library offers it.) They used to but they recently changed it, which is when I noticed that they used to offer it. Had I known that they would offer it before.....I would have used it.

I havn't seen the commercial yet but, I might just call the number they give online and ask about it.
Thank-you!

Sairana - I don't usually mind reviewing. My only issue with having no grammar explinations is that I might not understand how and when to use the form. But I could always look it up in one of my other textbooks and use the disk as a way to practice using it. I don't plan to give up textbook learning, just to enforce it more by using the stuff it teaches me and reviewing/learning new stuff w/ the disk. Also, I get what you mean about the particles. It's like how we all speak english. We don't get why we use certain parts of speech or why words mean what they do but, we understand it. That's how I want to speak Japanese, like I don't have to think about it too hard. Thanks your review was probably the most helpful and explanatory.

Still looking for more information, so please post if you know something even if it was already mentioned.
Last edited by Myuka on Wed 08.13.2008 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Myuka

Re: Rosetta Stone - is it worth the price tag? Is it any good?

Postby chikara » Tue 08.12.2008 10:51 pm

There have been a number of threads on Rosetta Stone over the last couple of years but for some reason I can't find them using the search function.

I had a loan of Rosetta Stone for a while but personally I found it of little use so I only used it very briefly.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Sairana » Wed 08.13.2008 1:52 am

I like it. My two children like it and are successful with it.

In Rosetta Stone, you build your ability with the language through pattern recognition and repetition. Sometimes the concept is vague at first, and you may only have a guess about what it means, but later frames will sharpen your fuzzy mental image through comparison and contrast.

This method is clearly not for everyone, as I have come under fire for supporting it numerous times. Do the free lesson thing and see if you like it for yourself. Although, since you have already studied Japanese, the free lesson will probably be extremely easy and give you a biased opinion (in favor of the product), where you may become disenchanted when it enters speech patterns you have trouble with or are not yet familiar.

After 12 years of basic education in the USA, adults tend to think they -need- that kind of grammatical explanations for a foreign language. Personally, I think that sort of thing holds you back and actually acts as a barrier to Japanese. I honestly believe Rosetta Stone removes that barrier.

My child can't tell me why she uses the particle は in Japanese sentences. It's just there, and she uses it appropriately. I can ask her to tell me, "Mom is drinking orange juice." And she will get it right. *shrug* It works for me, and it works for her. My son is learning Spanish. Seems to be going well for him, but I can't really quiz him like I quiz my daughter (I don't know spanish).

Basically, it comes down to the individual. If you think you might become frustrated with the lack of actual grammar explanations, then steer clear of Rosetta Stone. It will be a waste of time and money.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby Miaow » Wed 08.13.2008 1:49 pm

You might want to check if your local library offers Rosetta Stone to its patrons. Mine does, but I haven't tried it yet. I'll report back here once I've tried it.

(you need a library card of course - you type in your library card number to access Rosetta Stone through your library.)
= ^. .^ =
~Miaow~
にゃあにゃあ
Miaow

Postby Sairana » Thu 08.14.2008 4:52 am

Myuka -- when you reply to people in your own thread, use the "reply" button. That way, your responses are chronological and more conversation-like. It's easier to read for others who come into the thread for the first time and makes more sense. Plus, it pushes the thread back to the top of the forum, where as an edit of a post does not.

PS: I responded to your PM.
Sairana

Postby Myuka » Sun 08.17.2008 6:11 pm

Sorry. Someone told me to always use the edit button instead of the reply button so I wasn't sure.

So far still looking into it. I've heard a lot of good things about it, less bad stuff. I want to buy it but, not sure if I'll have the financial resources after tomorrow(quitting my job). I'll keep reading about, going to their website.

I'm not sure which version to get. I've heard homeschooled offers some great features and it's the same price as personal right? X_X I need to find out the differences between each version.
Myuka

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 08.17.2008 7:16 pm

Use the edit function instead of replying *to your own post* within a short amount of time. i.e. if you think of a correction or addition you want to make to something you posted, use edit rather than reply. If you are actually replying to someone else, use reply.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby phreadom » Mon 08.18.2008 11:57 am

chikara wrote:There have been a number of threads on Rosetta Stone over the last couple of years but for some reason I can't find them using the search function.

Sorry about that, the search index was messed up after the trouble we had a week or so ago. It should be fixed now. I just did a search on Rosetta Stone and got back 17 pages of results. :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Myuka » Mon 08.18.2008 1:26 pm

Ok, I understand the edit and reply thing now :)

I'll do a search myself and see what else I can find. I sent them an e-mail and asked questions and also requested a demo CD online for the Japanese version. So yay!

*goes to search for more Rosetta Stone questions*
Myuka

Postby hackules » Sun 09.14.2008 6:42 pm

I tried Rosetta Stone and hated it, I think it works only for kids.
It starts with teaching words not often used, and ignores phrases you will need as a starter, and this repeating thing gets me bored so quickly.
If you are the kind of person who finds fun in learning grammars; Rosetta Stone is definitely not for you.
hackules

Postby Sairana » Sun 09.14.2008 8:59 pm

hackules wrote:I tried Rosetta Stone and hated it, I think it works only for kids.
It starts with teaching words not often used, and ignores phrases you will need as a starter, and this repeating thing gets me bored so quickly.
If you are the kind of person who finds fun in learning grammars; Rosetta Stone is definitely not for you.

While this is partially true of version 2, version 3 is much more "survival friendly".

Although, Rosetta Stone was never intended to be a "Teach you to be able to live in Japan from the first lesson" kind of program.

I'll agree on the last bit. If you feel you NEED the mechanics of the language described in your native language, then Rosetta Stone will certainly not work for you.
Sairana

Postby leonl » Mon 09.15.2008 4:39 pm

http://www.rosettastone.com/global/support/downloads

Has Course Content/Curriculum for Versions 2 and 3 of the Software. What I would do if you wanted a better picture of what exactly rosetta stone will teach you is to download the english curriculum for each level and see what exactly they are trying to teach you. While the content is not exactly the same across all the languages it is close enough to get a good idea of what you will be learning.
How sweet life would be if korean in origin were playstation, anime and Wii
http://lang-8.com/92836
leonl

Native language: 英語

Postby Dehitay » Tue 09.16.2008 12:11 am

Rosetta Stone has its pros and cons. Personally, I find it to be a very slow way of learning. However, what you do learn from Rosetta Stone seems to stick in your head better than any other method I know of. I'm a highly impatient person so I prefer to learn the textbook method or whatever you want to call it.

One thing I will warn you of is that if you want to try Rosetta Stone, make sure you do so before you get too far into a textbook method. By the time I got around to it, I found it to be more annoying than anything else cause of how much I had already learned.

It's a good program, but I would have to say I don't believe it's worth the ridiculous amount they want you to pay for it.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips