Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Opinions Needed: Language Learning Resource (BSc project)

Opinions Needed: Language Learning Resource (BSc project)

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Opinions Needed: Language Learning Resource (BSc project)

Postby kayuu » Tue 09.23.2008 7:12 am

Hi, a little introduction before I start asking for your opinions.

I'm a student studying computer science at King's College London. As you may be able to tell, I also like learning foreign languages. Thus, I have a deep interest in computational linguistics/natural language processing - a combination of my two loves.

I'm in my final year and I have to do an individual project with a chosen supervisor (I'm going to try and tag along with our resident computational linguist) and so here I am doing a little 'market research' before I go and present my ideas to my lecturer so it would be a great help if you could respond.

I would like to try and create a (very simple, since it'll be individual work) 'intelligent' language learning resource/'tutor' - probably for English speakers wanting to learn Japanese. This project has to include some kind of natural language processing - for example, a method of taking and parsing input and producing a relevant output (for example to translate and/or create simple sentences in Japanese/English) and possibly some reasoning ability (to adapt to the users style of learning).

I would like to know what kind of context I could apply this processing to (which would you find most useful?) and what problems you have experienced when trying to learn Japanese, and what features you would've liked to have seen in the language learning resources you have used so far - and also, what features of the resources you've used did you particularly like.

For sake of keeping it simple in terms of Japanese language capabilities and to create a solid 'boundary', I would like to gear it towards people studying specifically for the JLPT level 3/4 exams. To focus too hard on the more advanced concepts ofJapanese would detract from the computational side of things - after all, I am taking a degree in computer science and I'm going to be graded on the computational success of the system, not my Japanese. :P

Thanks for all the help you can give me, it will all be greatly appreciated. I will probably be posting again in the future for more comments on proposed ideas/features and testing of the system itself.

Kayuu
kayuu

Native language: 英語

Re: Opinions Needed: Language Learning Resource (BSc project)

Postby Wakannai » Wed 09.24.2008 3:10 am

I would like to try and create a (very simple, since it'll be individual work) 'intelligent' language learning resource/'tutor' - probably for English speakers wanting to learn Japanese.

I think you're getting in a bit over your head with Japanese.

The best machine translations of Japanese are extremely crappy even for simple sentences and they reflect the effort of entire teams of people. The problem is Japanese is extremely context based, and computers can't tell the context.
Wakannai

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips