Heisig, RTK Experiment

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?
Post Reply
User avatar
Posts: 1572
Joined: Thu 01.10.2008 9:20 pm
Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)
Gender: Male

Re: Heisig, RTK Experiment

Post by furrykef » Sun 06.21.2009 1:50 pm

I have about 30% of my cards in box 8 and 45% more in box 7, though I'm eyeballing the graph. In any case they combine to form an almost perfect 75%, just slightly less. Boxes 5 and 6 combine to form a good 15-20% more.

I have gotten lazy, though. I have 186 expired cards in the "four or more reviews" pile right now. I do try to clear the other piles every night, though.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)

Jack W
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon 05.09.2005 3:18 pm
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: Heisig, RTK Experiment

Post by Jack W » Sat 07.18.2009 7:07 pm

I got lazy in a different way, in that the combination of end-of-semester madness at the college I teach at, making the annual temporary move for my summer job, and taking a Japanese class (!) really slowed me down in adding cards. While it took me about 2-2.5 months to get to the halfway point, getting from 1/2 to 3/4 will have taken me at least as long. There have been several weeks in which I added no cards at all, only doing the daily reviews. The positive aspect to all this is that the majority of my cards are in the mature column.

I hope to cross #1531 and the 3/4 mark next week sometime. At that point, everyone says, it will be mostly downhill.

It didn't take me long to see the utility of the Heisig method in the Japanese class I'm taking. We're using the Genki text, which starts using kanji pretty quickly. Instead of being presented with a horrifying sprinkling of strange diagrams, I find myself running into old friends more often than I expected -- kanji that I already know how to write, but just had no idea of their pronunciation. An example was when I saw the kanji I knew as "homecoming" used as the root of kaeru.

I was hoping to finish RTK1 by the end of the (Northern hemisphere) summer, but at this point I'd be happy to finish it by the end of the calendar year. It isn't a race after all. I think I will then go on to RTK2 and RTK3, even though RTK2 in particular doesn't get very good reviews. At least it will probably be a chance to solidify RTK1 while learning those readings that I was so concerned about learning at first. :)

Post Reply