Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Listenin skills help!

Listenin skills help!

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Re: Listenin skills help!

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 11.24.2008 10:30 pm

I don't think there's anything wrong with using a script as long as you also do listening without the script. Although you should do at least some exercises where you don't have one.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Infidel » Mon 11.24.2008 10:44 pm

Mercenary wrote:I read at those links that reading a transcript of the audio is bad for listening comprehension.
I have done that in the past a bit when doing the dialogue section of a new chapter or if I didn't get the listening comprehension part of the chapter on the first go through. So I'd be better off just listening to it, even if I don't fully comprehend it, and then maybe going over the written stuff later instead of the same time?

And slowed down is bad too? So I should avoid that as well. So with an ebook I should just listen to the normal speed only and not while looking at the book itself?

I get that not having the transcript is more useful, but I thought the practice could still be beneficial with one as you're still listening and just aiding that listening with reading if you miss a thing here and there.

Please read those links more carefuly..Qualifiers are very important. Listening WHILE reading a script is harmful to your comprehension, especially the first time. Transcripts themselves are not harmful, or they wouldn't be used as a learning aid. Many of the problems students have is misusing learning aids--such as flashcards.

For example. Just about every textbook has an opening dialog. Before you listen to the dialog study the vocabulary.
1. Then listen to the dialog without the transcript.
2. Then listen while reading the script if you had trouble.
3. Review the vocabulary.
4. Repeat steps one through three until you can recite it in your sleep.

It is very much to your benefit to memorize the opening dialogs in your book. It gives you a bunch of pattern sentences to fall back on when you attempt to speak. There is a major difference in being able to instinctively recite a pattern and understanding the theory. Also, listening to something repetitively does help train comprehension. You test compression by listening something once and trying to decipher it. You train comprehension by listening to stuff over and over until it becomes seems natural.

Generally. You want your first exposure to a spoken Japanese excerpt to be untainted by expectations. So you should avoid reading a transcript first. This way your brain is working hardest to understand. If you check the transcript first, or during, then that part of your brain is not getting trained.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Kenitai » Sat 11.29.2008 10:15 pm

kentaku_sama wrote:SO My worst japanese skill is listening, and I want to build up my ability to understand spoken words.
I have watched japanese anime for like 2-3 years with subtitles, some movies also. Now and again i'll here a word or two I understand. But when I do a listening comprehension study thing, it's too hard and the words are slurred! I'm guessing to understand slurred words you must be a high level listener. Any thing I could get to improve my listening skills.? That is for a beginner to spoken japanese?

Listening to Japanese songs can tremendously help, by memorizing the pronunciation, as you'll probably listen to a particular song a 100 times or less. But of course you HAVE to look up the meaning of that word, or else it's pretty useless... If you are an J-music addict, it'll certainly be one of the fun and easy ways.

Though knowing the grammar is a must aswell...
The most addictive and effective way, to read & learn Kanji... Visit Readthekanji.com
Kenitai

Native language: Dutch

Previous

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips