Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Anki

Anki

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Anki

Postby Infidel » Sat 11.29.2008 3:42 am

Now that I'm breaking Anki back out, I've a question.

since Anki requires unique keywords etc. How do I deal with synonyms. Say my book gives me 速い meaning fast in one chapter, and in a later chapter gives me 早い meaning fast? Thanks.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Re: Anki

Postby Dustin » Sat 11.29.2008 3:57 am

Infidel wrote:Now that I'm breaking Anki back out, I've a question.

since Anki requires unique keywords etc. How do I deal with synonyms. Say my book gives me 速い meaning fast in one chapter, and in a later chapter gives me 早い meaning fast? Thanks.

I come into this with mnemosyne a bit, I just make sure when I get a duplicate, after fast, I add some kind of clue to the context to use that version OF fast, since they are usually slightly different. Context is the most important part of synonym use as well, so this will help to remember when to use each.

In my experience, these 2 have the same reading, but 速い is quick, swift ( fast ) where 早い is early ( bus is running fast... )
:D
Dustin

Native language: English

Re: Anki

Postby furrykef » Thu 12.04.2008 1:22 am

Studying words in isolation is always problematic exactly because of things like synonyms, as well as words that don't translate well between the languages. After some trial and error I've arrived at the conclusion that it's generally best to study production (i.e., English->Japanese) of complete sentences. At least, this is what provides the best results for me.

Anyway, whether unique fields are required depends on the model you're using. If you study both Production and Recognition, then having identical entries is no good because then you will sometimes have no way to distinguish them. For instance, if the question is "fast", then you don't know if it's the 早い card or the 速い card, since both have "fast" as the English side. If you're not doing this, you can simply edit the model and disable the "Unique" attribute on whichever field is appropriate (in this case, it would be the English field).

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips