Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - みなのにほんご questions

みなのにほんご questions

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

みなのにほんご questions

Postby Riza » Sat 11.29.2008 3:57 am

Hey there.
I'm learning japanese, don't really know how, but I do.

I can read hiragana and katakana and a few kanji. Thing is, I want to buy a book to learn grammar (know some, but want to know a whole lot more) and to improve kanji.

I was thinking of buying mina no nihongo, however, I know there are different versions, I just don't know what to buy...I can only buy one, will be asking it for christmas.

Could someone explain the different versions to me? I know there's the book I and II, the workbook and more I don't know which.

PS: Btw, I have "Easy Kanji", but I'd like to learn kanji in context rather tan as an individual.
Riza

Native language: portuguese

Re: みなのにほんご questions

Postby Dustin » Sat 11.29.2008 4:00 am

Book I and Book II are simple Books 1 and 2, the second continuing from the first.

Workbooks are books filled with questions based on the textbook, helps to reinforce the information taught. Pretty well useless without the book. Everything else is pretty self explanatory supplementary material.

Only 1 book, I would go with Book I the first textbook in the series.

EDIT
*Since the Entire book is in Japanese the English Translation and grammar notes may prove invaluable as well
Dustin

Native language: English

Postby Riza » Sat 11.29.2008 4:04 am

Dustin_Calgary wrote:Book I and Book II are simple Books 1 and 2, the second continuing from the first.

Workbooks are books filled with questions based on the textbook, helps to reinforce the information taught. Pretty well useless without the book. Everything else is pretty self explanatory supplementary material.

Only 1 book, I would go with Book I the first textbook in the series.

I plan on buying more when I finish (if I finish) the first one. I mean, I'll be hopefully going to college next year, and I don't know if until then I'll finish one book.

Isnt there an english version and a japanese version?

EDIT: Damn.
Riza

Postby Dustin » Sat 11.29.2008 4:07 am

I guess I edited my post too late.

There is an English Translation supplement to the book, but it does not replace it. It would need to be used in addition to the text.

:D

*EDIT tag game done haha
Dustin

Postby Riza » Sat 11.29.2008 4:18 am

Dustin_Calgary wrote:I guess I edited my post too late.

There is an English Translation supplement to the book, but it does not replace it. It would need to be used in addition to the text.

:D

*EDIT tag game done haha

The japanese book has absolutely no words translated? Is everything in japanese? I need to know everything because the book is kind of expensive where I'll buy it, and I want to buy a thing that's worth of.

Riza

Postby Dustin » Sat 11.29.2008 4:23 am

Yes, the entire book is Japanese, that is why the English supplement is so important for us.

If you are looking at an alternative, Genki seems to be quite popular on these forums, I personally like Japanese for Everyone, it's got approximately the same information covered as other 2 or 3 book series, and more vocab in my epxerience as well, all in one LOW priced package. Only downside is that is is a little more fast paced since it is a single book, but that is why we have forums, to help each other out :D

These are both available on TheJapanShop.com the Store that is linked to and supports these forums, or on Amazon if hat works better for you.
Dustin

Postby Dustin » Sat 11.29.2008 4:25 am

I don't want to edit again

http://www.thejapanesepage.com/w/index.php?title=Textbook

The textbook selection guide
Dustin

Postby Riza » Sat 11.29.2008 4:39 am

Thank you so much! :D

Thing is, here in Portugal I can't find the books, can't buy from international websites cause heve no credit card and my dad wouldn't let me. So, I have to buy from a portuguese online shop, send them an email asking if the book is available, and it it is, buy it of course. I already asked for genki, I'm waiting for an answer, because I really don't want to buy 2 books. hope they have Genki because is the one I've wanted sice like forever.
Riza

Postby becki_kanou » Sat 11.29.2008 4:54 am

Just a small note: I know they offer several other language supplements other than English, and they may very well have a Portuguese supplement as well, given the large number of Brazilians in Japan learning Japanese.

edit: I went to my local bookstore yesterday, and they do indeed have a Portuguese supplement, as well as Korean, Chinese, Spanish, English, Russian, Arabic and Indonesian.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Riza » Wed 12.03.2008 8:31 am

Thanks becki_kanou, but I don't think the store I might buy from has the portuguese version.

I asked thhe same shop if it had Genki, yes, they have, but it's really expensive (85€ the book I alone o.o), so I might end up buying Minna no nihongo (I really wanted Genki), is MNN really worth it? It's not as expensive as Genki, but still expensive (35€).

Damn, I'm not sure if I will buy it because within a year I'll use it (printed) at college, but I wanted to learn some japanese before entering college.

I already sent an email to other 2 shops asking if they had Genki, but as unfortunate as I am, I really doubt it...crap.
Riza

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips