Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - How do school kids in Japan learn the language?

How do school kids in Japan learn the language?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

How do school kids in Japan learn the language?

Postby Athefre » Wed 12.03.2008 8:32 pm

Does anyone here know what the order is that they learn their language in school. I would like detailed answers if you can. What (I believe) is commonly told by forum members to beginner non-native speakers is to:

1. Learn Hiragana
2. Learn Katakana
3. Grammar
4. Kanji

Are those the same steps kids learn in school? I do realize that they have an advantage of constantly being around people that know the language so they are getting a mix of things all at once.
Athefre

Native language: English

Re: How do school kids in Japan learn the language?

Postby richvh » Wed 12.03.2008 9:23 pm

They learn hiragana and katakana in first grade, and start learning kanji that same year. They continue to learn kanji throughout school.

As for grammar... except for the various types of keigo, they attained an instinctive grasp of most grammar as they learned to talk, just as you picked up an instinctive grasp of English (or whatever your native language is) grammar without ever studying it.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Re: How do school kids in Japan learn the language?

Postby chikara » Wed 12.03.2008 9:47 pm

richvh wrote:..... they attained an instinctive grasp of most grammar as they learned to talk, just as you picked up an instinctive grasp of English (or whatever your native language is) grammar without ever studying it.

A more appropriate question would probably be "How do school kids in Japan learn to read and write?"

I was taught grammar in school but grammar hasn't been taught in schools in this country for 30 years. There are plans to re-introduce the teaching of grammar but the problem is that a large percentage of current teachers were never taught grammar themselves.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips