Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Question about kanji books.

Question about kanji books.

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Question about kanji books.

Postby Totakeke423 » Tue 12.09.2008 5:34 pm

I was messing around with Rikaichan for Firefox and saw that all of the kanji have book page numbers (or the number of the index for books that don't use page numbers). I noticed one of the indexes was next to "Kanji Learner's Dictionary."

You see, I already own the Learner's Kanji Dictionary, and after looking at the Kanji Learner's Dictionary, I decided it sounded like a pretty good reference.

Does anyone have any experience with the Kanji Learner's Dictionary? This is the link in case anyone's interested. http://www.amazon.com/Kodansha-Kanji-Le ... 4770028555

The only drawbacks I could see were that it uses romaji instead of hiragana/katakana, and that some readers said that it wasn't easy to look up kanji by radical. The Learner's Kanji Dictionary (the book that I own) uses the radical system and even if I don't know what the character is it's easy to look it up by radical. Apparently this book uses the SKIP system, which uses stroke counting and the style of the kanji to look up a character. For example, 字 would have the code 2-3-3, because the character is A) divided into a top and a bottom part (which gives it a 2), B) the top "part" has 3 strokes, and C) the bottom "part" has 3 strokes.

Actually, I was messing with this for a while and it seems like a cumbersome and difficult way to look up kanji, not to mention I'm used to looking stuff up by radical. (On a side note, isn't that how dictionaries in Japan work?)

Anyway, in a nutshell, how have your experiences been with this book and do you recommend it as a learning aide? Thanks for the info.
Totakeke423

Native language: English

Re: Question about kanji books.

Postby leonl » Tue 12.09.2008 7:25 pm

I too have the Learner's Kanji Dictionary I find it to be rather easy to use. The Kodansha one is a bit more popular but the differences are negligeble, In fact I believe the Learner's dictionary has more Kanji in it.

P.S. Be wary of reviews on amazon. Most people on amazon like to blather on about romaji being crippling and whatnot, yet most of them are not any further in their studies than you or I. Most of them can't even spell the word right. Long story short as long as romaji is not your primary mode of instruction(i.e the one your textbook uses) you'll be fine
How sweet life would be if korean in origin were playstation, anime and Wii
http://lang-8.com/92836
leonl

Native language: 英語

Postby Totakeke423 » Tue 12.09.2008 9:57 pm

Thanks for the info. Yes, I try to take the reviews with a grain of salt, even though they can be very helpful (at times ;)).

On a side note, people seem to mention text books a lot, so I guess I should finally get one :oops:. Instead of taking up another thread, I'll just ask here. How are the Genki series of textbooks? And where can I find them? Amazon doesn't sell them anymore, and the only place that seems to sell them is the Japanese Amazon. First, I don't know enough Japanese to navigate a Japanese website. Second, I assume they ship from Japan, and with me being the states that would probably be expensive. Third, I should be able to find an English seller, shouldn't I?
Totakeke423

Postby leonl » Tue 12.09.2008 10:11 pm

Totakeke423 wrote:Thanks for the info. Yes, I try to take the reviews with a grain of salt, even though they can be very helpful (at times ;)).

On a side note, people seem to mention text books a lot, so I guess I should finally get one :oops:. Instead of taking up another thread, I'll just ask here. How are the Genki series of textbooks? And where can I find them? Amazon doesn't sell them anymore, and the only place that seems to sell them is the Japanese Amazon. First, I don't know enough Japanese to navigate a Japanese website. Second, I assume they ship from Japan, and with me being the states that would probably be expensive. Third, I should be able to find an English seller, shouldn't I?

Genki 1

That Link is to Genki 1 on amazon, I couldn't find Genki 2 just the workbooks and the cd's. Clay, the site owner sells both of these books as well as several other ones in The Japan shop I believe clay ships to most countries seeing as you are in the states you shouldn't have a problem.

Genki is the most popular series I own Genki 1 even though it is not my main textbook. It's not as thorough as some books but it is still a good series, probably one of the better ones for self study.

Japanese for Everyone is also pretty good, It will teach more in one book than Genki does in two. Though this is a bad thing as well because it is very dense information wise,and sometimes the pages seem a little cluttered with information. The audio for this series simply cannot be purchased for a reasonable price and if you do find you'll need a cassette player. I would suggest using the library of the interenet to find the audio for the book.

Introduction to modern Japanese is a course that focuses on written Japanese .It is the most comprehensive of all the books I've looked into, it's also the one I use currently.

2nd Edit: Looks like I was editing while rich was posting
Last edited by leonl on Tue 12.09.2008 11:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
How sweet life would be if korean in origin were playstation, anime and Wii
http://lang-8.com/92836
leonl

Native language: 英語

Postby richvh » Tue 12.09.2008 10:11 pm

A lot of people like Genki. Yes, buying from Amazon Japan would be expensive, since they ship everything airmail for a considerable shipping cost. But have you considered buying from our host? Just click on "TheJapanShop.com" link up there in the navigation bar and see if he has it in stock.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Totakeke423 » Tue 12.09.2008 10:23 pm

Of course! I never even thought to check at The Japan Shop. Thanks.
Totakeke423

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips