Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Using music to help with studies?

Using music to help with studies?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Using music to help with studies?

Postby Pkmn Trainer Abram » Wed 02.18.2009 2:16 am

I use Iknow almost everyday, voicing everything I come across in the lessons and write everything out, and I am using Introduction to Modern Japanese to study in the more tradional manner, if it means anything.

I wanted to use Japanese music to learn new vocab and kanji in additon to my studies and came across the Anime Lyrics site when looking for translations. It seems it has the kanjified lyrics as well as stroke order and meaning, etc on each kanji, but I am unsure on the accuracy of this site. Is it reliable or should I be weary of it?

I intend to write out each lyric and voice them out as I would my normal lessons. Is there something I could be to help learning this way? I know music is more poetic than formal speech, but I would assume most word forms in music would only benefit me in the long run.
If Pokemon don't listen, it's a sign that you aren't whipping them enough.-Nuked
Pkmn Trainer Abram

Re: Using music to help with studies?

Postby Sairana » Wed 02.18.2009 4:47 am

I know music is more poetic than formal speech,

That's an understatement.

but I would assume most word forms in music would only benefit me in the long run.

If you plan to speak with esoteric imagery, sure. This isn't an issue of plain form vs. politeness, this is about songwriters using unconventional grammar,shortenings, and verbiage in order to fit the music, mood, or to give some deep, profound meaning to their lyrics.

Using music as a STUDY TOOL is an excercize in frustration. You can take my word for it, or learn it the hard way. But you'd be better off with attempting to do the same with Manga or something... at least that's not going to mangle the language (as much... depending on the manga... :P )

I am unsure on the accuracy of this site. Is it reliable or should I be weary of it?

Most of the translations done on Anime lyrics are user submitted. There's no criteria that I am aware of before you are able to submit translations to that site. Plus, people tend to take poetic liberties (as they should) when translating, making it almost impossible at times to single out which English word or phrase corresponds to which Japanese word or phrase. Expect a lot of your thoughts to go something like, "The translation says [blah blah] but should it mean [yabba yabba]?"

Enjoy the pain if you decide to go through with it.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby furrykef » Wed 02.18.2009 7:53 am

Suddenly I've got the banana song stuck in my head. Whenever I think of music in Japanese, that's what always springs to mind... (maybe it's because I can actually understand some of the lyrics :P)

バナナはどうして黄色いの?
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 02.18.2009 9:31 am

Pkmn Trainer Abram wrote:I wanted to use Japanese music to learn new vocab and kanji in additon to my studies and came across the Anime Lyrics site when looking for translations. It seems it has the kanjified lyrics as well as stroke order and meaning, etc on each kanji, but I am unsure on the accuracy of this site. Is it reliable or should I be weary of it?

You should be wary. Some of the translations on sites like that are done by fans with no actual language knowledge -- they look up the nouns and verbs in WWWJDIC and then sort of make up their own lyrics that seem to fit the feeling they think the song has (they're not doing this intentionally, but their grasp of the grammar is so weak that it's essentially what's happening.)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby chikara » Wed 02.18.2009 7:29 pm

Pkmn Trainer Abram wrote:..... I wanted to use Japanese music to learn new vocab and kanji .....

I saw the thread title and thought it was about listening to music while studying to aid concentration or some such. :?
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 02.19.2009 9:55 am

chikara wrote:
Pkmn Trainer Abram wrote:..... I wanted to use Japanese music to learn new vocab and kanji .....

I saw the thread title and thought it was about listening to music while studying to aid concentration or some such. :?

I was thinking the same thing. I can still hear the music of the Police when I read certain books and when I hear The Police, I can remember parts of the books I read while listening to certain albums. That was 25 years ago too.
two_heads_talking

Postby Snowflake » Thu 02.19.2009 4:14 pm

I just purchased an audiobook with introductory Japanese lessons. I already have TJP's wonderful Japanese Phrases for my IPod but I can't safely work with it while driving. I'm mentioning it in this thread because the audiobook combines its lessons with music. They don't "sing" the lessons; rather the lessons consist of the hosts repeating words and phrases back and forth to one another (English to Japanese and back again) while music tracks play underneath. The music is sort of a new-age/soft-jazzy mix, all original compositions made just for this company. Soothing but with a steady beat. Likewise, the voices are smooth and soothing, almost hypnotic (but not so hypnotic as to make driving hazardous).

So, while it's not music in the way the OP was suggesting (learning from Japanese songs), it does combine music and learning.

From the way I understand the company's website, the music appeals to something subliminally, allowing the lessons to sink in better. I've only been listening since yesterday, so I can't attest to its effectiveness yet. But I can tell you this: I know how to ask for a cup of coffee in Japanese now! :lol:
Snowflake

Postby Infidel » Thu 02.19.2009 6:00 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
chikara wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. I can still hear the music of the Police when I read certain books and when I hear The Police, I can remember parts of the books I read while listening to certain albums. That was 25 years ago too.

Seriously. I was thinking the same too when I saw this thread. My pimsleur tapes and my japanese vocabulary CDs have music in the background to aid retention.

And I also have had the same experince with songs and books. Every time I hear those songs, the books spring into my thoughts. It's quite fun actually.

And Yes, I think having music quietly playing in the background while I study helps a lot.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby chikara » Thu 02.19.2009 7:26 pm

Snowflake wrote:.... while it's not music in the way the OP was suggesting (learning from Japanese songs) .....

The OP doesn't understand the distinction between music and songs. Songs have lyrics, music does not :wink:
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Infidel » Thu 02.19.2009 8:42 pm

chikara wrote:
Snowflake wrote:.... while it's not music in the way the OP was suggesting (learning from Japanese songs) .....

The OP doesn't understand the distinction between music and songs. Songs have lyrics, music does not :wink:

music does not necessarily
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 02.20.2009 9:44 am

I would suggest that playing death metal or black metal or punk music might not be an appropriate music in teh background, but as suggested, something soothing would help in rentention..

You don't want to be recollecting a gutteral primal scream when remembering the words irrashaimase! lol
two_heads_talking

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips