Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Which Genki text book level should I get?

Which Genki text book level should I get?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Which Genki text book level should I get?

Postby kentaku_sama » Fri 02.20.2009 2:30 pm

Well I've finaly decided to get some actual material withpre written exersizes and grammer and stuff and I thought genki would be best. I decided I'd get the answer key and text book. The question is which level 1 or 2?? I've studied online for years but I only know enough to talk like a 5 year-old in the actual country. There are alot of phrases I don't know and even though I know alot of particles, I haven't really practiced them. Though I know like 400 kanji but not many words.
Should I get level 1 or 2? I think level 1 would be best though because I get to practice the basics first again.

By the way, I live in North Carolina USA, How much does shipping cost for these books?
kentaku_sama

Native language: English

Re: Which Genki text book level should I get?

Postby richvh » Fri 02.20.2009 2:49 pm

I'd say... see if your local library has (or can get through inter-library loan) a copy of Genki 1, and see how much it covers that you haven't learned yet, then make your own decision based on that.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Re: Which Genki text book level should I get?

Postby wccrawford » Fri 02.20.2009 3:25 pm

Since you haven't gone through Genki 1 and you aren't near fluent, chances are that Genki 1 holds things you don't know yet. How much is the question...

If you really can't follow richvh's suggestion (which is really what you should do) then I would choose Genki 2. Whatever you missed from Genki 1, you'll probably get somewhere else... Or Genki 2 will reference it and you'll know it's missing. At that point you can look it up online or in a grammar book.

Really, I wouldn't worry about it. Also note that some nice users have make Genki lists on iKnow, so you can study the vocab there if you are missing that.
wccrawford

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips