Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - My challenge to myself

My challenge to myself

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

My challenge to myself

Postby monkeykoder » Mon 03.02.2009 2:01 pm

I'll have to admit I'm horrible at studying I never have gotten the hang of it so I've decided to give myself a challenge. One of my many hobbies is photography so I've decided to get a set of images together (probably around 1000) which give a good illustration of the following wordlist http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:1000_Japanese_basic_words. The basic premise is to get out take pictures and write a Japanese sentence describing the content. Ideally we could get many people involved in this project (some for correcting my horrible grammar and others to take pictures to contribute and describe) if the project goes as I see it I'd eventually like to use these pictures as a sort of flash card (say format them to 4inx6in and put on a ring)

I'd like to see everyone's opinions on the project the main purpose for it for me is to build my nearly non-existent vocabulary.
monkeykoder

Native language: English

Re: My challenge to myself

Postby welldone101 » Mon 03.02.2009 8:06 pm

Sounds awesomely fun. I hope it goes well!
welldone101

Postby Snowflake » Tue 03.03.2009 9:52 am

Quite the challenge you've set. Good luck!
Snowflake

Postby nukemarine » Tue 03.03.2009 2:33 pm

Didn't www.iKnow.co.jp already do the brunt work on this for 2000 Japanese words?
nukemarine

Postby Snowflake » Tue 03.03.2009 6:24 pm

iKnow is a wonderful site. I'm a fairly new member over there but I like what I see so far! I know you're very enthusiastic about it, too, Nukemarine! I'm just wondering if the OP feels he would be more personally invested if he made his own physical cards (he mentioned putting them on a ring), using his own images (he mentioned photography is a hobby) and his own handwritten sentences (to strengthen handwriting skills). Perhaps that sort of literal "hands-on" approach is a help to Monkeykoder's learning style.

Sounds like a very ambitious project and could certainly be done in conjunction with other learning, such as websites, classes, Anki, texts or whatever folks use.

edited to remove gender-neutral language -- I wasn't able to check male-female status until I finished the post.
Snowflake

Postby monkeykoder » Wed 03.04.2009 10:25 am

I just joined iknow myself it looks like a step in the right direction but doesn't quite hit on what I'm trying to accomplish (some of which was mentioned in the previous post). I guess we'll have to see if I can bring my writing skills up to snuff for this project.

By the way is anyone else getting mildly annoyed that iknow hasn't been up for over 24hrs?
monkeykoder

Postby monkeykoder » Mon 03.09.2009 4:19 pm

I've chosen to do a kind of picture a day blog instead of a flashcard system and am using this more as practice for the active skill of writing (I'm VERY bad at it). Anyway I'd appreciate any grammar or vocabulary help (or blogging tips) please view at http://monkeykoder.blogspot.com/ I thank you for your time.
monkeykoder

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips