Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - How do I practice Transistive and Intransistive verbs?

How do I practice Transistive and Intransistive verbs?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Re: How do I practice Transistive and Intransistive verbs?

Postby kentaku_sama » Fri 04.24.2009 1:53 pm

What's the difference between 上る 上がる? Can they both be used for the same thing, I'm not talking about intransitive verbs right now, I'm reffering to the meaning. I thought 上げる also can mean "Give" as in
このオレンジ本を上げます。 "I'll give you this orange book." Please give me some sentences, man I hope a text book will help me understand all of this eventually.
kentaku_sama

Native language: English

Postby nukemarine » Sat 04.25.2009 3:55 am

I find the website www.guidetojapanese.org is good as a text book. It's kind of light on sample sentences but not much so. If you're waiting on a textbook, try reading through that site while you wait.

HINT: Don't start at the end or middle. It's best to start at the beginning where things are tad easier to comprehend.
nukemarine

Postby friendly_fire » Sat 04.25.2009 8:46 am

kentaku_sama wrote:What's the difference between 上る 上がる?

As I understand it:

上がる - to go up, to rise
階段を上がる。Go up the stairs.

上げる - to raise, to lift (up)
箱を上げる。Lift the box.

上(のぼ)る - to go up
彼女は血が上る。Her blood is up!

あげる - to give, is written in hiragana.

Edited to say:

nukemarine wrote:HINT: Don't start at the end or middle. It's best to start at the beginning where things are tad easier to comprehend.

This is very good advice!
friendly_fire

Postby kentaku_sama » Sat 04.25.2009 2:38 pm

I've already been using that site, that's actually where I began to learn about intransitive and transitive verbs. Thanks though. Also it's not like I'm extremely beginner, I've got most of the basics down, I can read/write katakana, hiragana. and about 300 or 400 kanji. I know alot of verbs it's just I need help with grammer and stuff, and that website is great but it dosen't review which is what a text book is good for. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I know almost everything, heck I have so much to learn!!
kentaku_sama

Native language: English

Previous

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips