Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - How long have you studied Japanese (in hours).

How long have you studied Japanese (in hours).

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

How long have you studied Japanese (in hours).

Postby nukemarine » Wed 05.06.2009 1:47 am

Seems like a basic question, but I think it's one that's difficult to answer. How do you gauge your hours of study? What qualifies as "study time"?

Anyway, if you answer try provide perspective. If you want, say how many months or years those study hours have been spread over.

For my answer. Recently I gauged myself as having about 550 effective study hours. That's about 240 hours learning to write and recognize 2400 kanji, 150 hours working with 750 sample grammar sentences, and 150 hours learning about 1500 vocabulary sentences. In that time I've filled about 500 pages. That's all spread out over 18 months, so it's been pretty slow going.

I don't count reading manga or watching TV/movies as study time though.
nukemarine

Re: How long have you studied Japanese (in hours).

Postby Triddy » Wed 05.06.2009 3:37 am

Hmm, this IS a hard one.

I have been studying hard for 4 months, an hour+ a day. However, there was a week and a bit where I got nothing done due to lung infection. So let's round that out to about 125 hours.

Before that, I took classes in High School. 7 hours a week, for 70 weeks (3 High School semesters). 490 hours? It's not right though. That class moved snail-pace, and most of that wasn't serious study. Let's just say I got 100 hours of good study out of it and call it fair.

So, maybe 225 hours of good study? Sadly, because it was spread out, I am not nearly as far as I feel I should be.
Triddy

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 05.06.2009 5:04 am

I never kept up with it, but if I had to guess I would say somewhere around 100 hours. Maybe a bit more, but certainly not over 200 hours.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby keatonatron » Wed 05.06.2009 8:11 am

Classroom time: 4 hours/week for one year in college = 160, plus 30 hours/week for one year at language school = 1350 for a total of 1510.

Study outside class: too many to count! (Mike is the same)
keatonatron

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 05.06.2009 8:24 am

keatonatron wrote:Classroom time: 4 hours/week for one year in college = 160, plus 30 hours/week for one year at language school = 1350 for a total of 1510.

Let's call that "learning" outside class. I couldn't even begin to estimate how much of that I've had. Still goes on every day.
Mike Cash

Postby keatonatron » Wed 05.06.2009 2:32 pm

Mike Cash wrote:Let's call that "learning" outside class.

I consider it study any time I look up a kanji I don't know, ask a friend what a word means, or (the big one) "practice conversation" :)
keatonatron

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 05.06.2009 5:38 pm

keatonatron wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:Let's call that "learning" outside class.

I consider it study any time I look up a kanji I don't know, ask a friend what a word means, or (the big one) "practice conversation" :)

I practically never do any of those.
Mike Cash

Postby nukemarine » Thu 05.07.2009 1:02 am

keatonatron wrote:Classroom time: 4 hours/week for one year in college = 160, plus 30 hours/week for one year at language school = 1350 for a total of 1510.

College "supposedly" has a 2 to 1 set-up where you're meant to need 2 hours of study outside of class for the 1 hour of study inside of class. For that language school I don't know how much you can gauge. If it's like the Defense Language Institute, that's like 12 hours of study (class and outside class) a day for 52 weeks. So you may have double that number of hours in those two years of study.

Now, how much of that is effective study? I mean, I may put in a 40 hour work week, but that does not mean I did 40 hours of work. But then, that goes into what counts of effective study time. It was that which got me to use my kanji and sentences as a guide. So I discount the 50 or so hours I did with Pimsleur and the 50 or so hours with Rosetta Stone as their effect was duplicated when I started the sentence method. Obviously, effective study hours, like study hours is up to the person to decide.

I'm with Cash on the idea that experiencing Japanese is learning Japanese. I don't consider watching TV, reading books or talking the Japanese soldiers at the base club as studying. It's a learning experience and something much harder to measure, so I stopped bothering. However, I have realized that the better my effective study time, the more I get out of my experience time.
nukemarine

Postby keatonatron » Thu 05.07.2009 9:55 am

Mike Cash wrote:I practically never do any of those.

You don't talk to people? :shock:

nukemarine wrote:College "supposedly" has a 2 to 1 set-up where you're meant to need 2 hours of study outside of class for the 1 hour of study inside of class. For that language school I don't know how much you can gauge.

Yeah, college was supposed to be that way, but since I was already way ahead of the class due to self-study, I only did maybe 1-2 hours of homework per week.

Language school had 30 hours of class time per week, but I studied for another 10 hours or so out of class, and all the rest of my free time was spent practicing with native speakers or my classmates.
keatonatron

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 05.07.2009 10:15 am

keatonatron wrote:

You don't talk to people? :shock:.

Isn't it obvious? :mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen:
two_heads_talking

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 05.07.2009 1:48 pm

keatonatron wrote:

Where was "talk to people" mentioned? I believe the term you used was "practice conversation".

I don't "practice" conversation; I have real ones.

(And yes, I know you two were "jus' funnin'").
Mike Cash

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 05.07.2009 4:03 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
keatonatron wrote:

Where was "talk to people" mentioned? I believe the term you used was "practice conversation".

I don't "practice" conversation; I have real ones.

(And yes, I know you two were "jus' funnin'").

I think every person how knows Japanese as a 2nd language is always 'practicing conversation' it might feel real, but it's just all practice.. Practice makes perfect and by your own admission, you aren't perfect yet.. :o :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: (I'm just poking a sleeping bear, I know.. lol)
two_heads_talking

Postby keatonatron » Thu 05.07.2009 6:34 pm

Mike, Mike, Mike... you of all people should understand the power of quotation marks. :o
keatonatron

Postby Mike Cash » Fri 05.08.2009 4:18 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
I think every person who knows Japanese as a 2nd language is always 'practicing conversation' it might feel real, but it's just all practice.

So when my boss called me a few minutes ago and said tomorrow I should go to 梓の森 and pick up a load for 梶ヶ谷, then go down to 府中 and grab another load to deliver to 草加 he was just helping me "practice"? Nice to know. Now I can take the day off tomorrow and not worry about it; he was just helping me practice my Japanese, after all.

There are those of us for whom speaking Japanese is not just an academic exercise.

(And I think your comment applies more to people who are learning Japanese as a foreign language....not as a second language).
Mike Cash

Postby furrykef » Fri 05.08.2009 9:09 am

I think the point that two_heads_talking was making is that there's never really a point where you're 100% fluent. 99.9999%, perhaps, but there's always that little bit of room for improvement. How do you improve? By using what you know, of course.

But of course the same thing is true for native speakers of a language as well. Of course we have no problem communicating in our day to day lives, but most of us still say something grammatically awkward or otherwise poorly worded now and then.

(Case in point: when I first submitted this post, I forgot the words "was making" in the first sentence. >.>)

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Next

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips