Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - deaf in japan

deaf in japan

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

deaf in japan

Postby vaeng » Fri 05.22.2009 2:55 am

Hi there,
sorry I am not deaf. Only kind of. I am going to live in Japan for 6 month. I am already here for three weeks and working as an intern for a big company in Iwakuni, Yamaguchi-ken in western Honshu. The topic was chosen, because I cant read Kanji and understanding Japanese is very difficult.

Im able to read kana and I know the grammar for JPLT 4, as I worked through JfE I. That was some time ago and I forgot a lot until now. So I need a good plan to not wast this amazing opportunity to study Japanese in Japan. As a german it is no problem to speak Japanse as it is like the german pronouciation. My problem is a good structure to learn effectivly. I own JfE, their Audio-Cds, the german "translation" book and the Kanjifalshcards for JPLT 3 and 4 of the famous white rabbit.

I am aiming to read japanese texts. As a stepstone I took mangas and videogames before real books, as images are easier to understand the context and learn to read (and think) more fluently in Japanese. I wonder how to reach this goal best. As I have to work weekdays, I cant do full-time studies. At the moment I concentrate on learning kanji and vocabulary as it is offered on the real good kanji flashcards.
I read through the forums and found, that there is a love-hate relationship towards the heisig method. I didnt understand completely what it is about. As my greatest problems are the readings and meanings of kanji, it seemed to be a good idea to lern the basic 2000 kanji, their readings and meanings in vocabulary context like the flashcards. So I was searching for a good support and asked myself what would be the best to learn kanji and vocabulary. Are there any hints? Whats the problem with the heising method towards kanji-memorizing?

Btw: sorry for my strange English, as it gets crazier the longer I talk to Japanese with it...
vaeng

Native language: ドイツ語

Re: deaf in japan

Postby coco » Fri 05.22.2009 7:00 pm

Welcome to Japan and TJP. :)

I think you will be able to read general information in your daily life without too much trouble, if you know approximately 700 kanji.

If you already know the JLPT3 level kanji, it means you can read 300 kanji. If so, I'd like to suggest learning 400 more kanji as your first goal.
If you haven't memorized the JLPT3 Kanji, learning those 300 kanji will be your first step.
It looks much easier than mastering 2000 kanji.

Good luck with your studies. :)

(Sorry for my strange English.)
---
Edit:
Luckily I got corrections of my English and those helped me a lot. I really appreciate them.
Words in blue were corrected. [about /the/more 400/remembered/to learn]
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby vaeng » Sun 05.24.2009 7:10 am

Yeah, this seems like a good stepstone. I got the cards for JPLT 3 and 4. For 4 103 and 181 for the level 3 test. I'm thinking of buying the JPLT 2 Edition of the KanjiFlashCards. Is this a good idea, oder are there better wasys to reach my goal?
vaeng

Postby coco » Sun 05.24.2009 5:33 pm

Before buying a new flash card, you might want to try some quizzes.
In my opinion, learning grammar and kanji at the same time is an effective way to understand Japanese sentences.

If I were you, I would buy the JLPT2 KanjiFlashCards when I finished the JLPT3 level grammar and the JLPT3 level Kanji. However, if you want to focus on kanji learning first, buying the JLPT2 KanjiFlashCards would be a good idea to you. :)
coco

Postby vaeng » Sun 05.24.2009 5:58 pm

i'm not just doing kanji, but mostly. i have seen that white rabbit also sells falshcard for the jlpt1, so that i can continue with the whole series to reach my goal.

thanks for your help, it's a great think to have another opinion for oneselves learning situation
vaeng

Postby coco » Sun 05.24.2009 6:18 pm

Let me add one more thing.  :)
I think you might need to be able to read these vocabularies, regardless of JLPT level. 

・ 緊急 
・ 非常口
・ 救急車
・ 病院
・ 火事
・ 地震
coco

Postby vaeng » Mon 05.25.2009 3:51 am

i know three of them. 口、火 and 車.

is there a deeper concept behind kanji, that would help me to learn the kanji? i mean things they tell you in kanjibooks which dont appear on the flashcards. like radicals?
vaeng

Postby coco » Mon 05.25.2009 8:38 am

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you already knew WWWJDIC site. That web site is very useful.

You can find how to read each of them by putting each as a keyword.
( Just copy and paste each of them.)

Those vocabularies are almost written in Kanji.
Therefore, to memorize them will be better while you stay in Japan.
coco

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips