Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Dictionary Lookup Tools

Dictionary Lookup Tools

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Dictionary Lookup Tools

Postby raevin » Tue 06.02.2009 1:12 am

This is inspired for two reasons:
1) viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8980
2) The fact that TJP used to have a link in their "Downloads" section for a Japanese->English dictionary program for Windows, but doesn't anymore.

Anywho, what software do you use to look up Japanese->English (and vice-versa even)?

A lot of people speak highly of Rikaichan if you're using Firefox, which I love as well. Also, though, I've recently downloaded StarDict, and it's pretty awesome as well.

What software (or extensions for your browser) do you use so that you don't have to go to WWWJDIC or some other site to get the translation?
raevin

Native language: English

Re: Dictionary Lookup Tools

Postby astaroth » Tue 06.02.2009 8:36 am

I use rikaichan (though I'm trying to limit myself ... :() and DeshiJisho which uses the database of WWWJDIC but I find the former to be easier and less confusing to use than the latter.

You might want to check this and this page for an extensive list of tools and dictionaries.

There is also Language Aid which is a system-wide dictionary though I think only for Mac.
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Native language: Italiano「伊語」

Postby raevin » Tue 06.02.2009 3:52 pm

astaroth wrote:I use rikaichan (though I'm trying to limit myself ... :() and DeshiJisho which uses the database of WWWJDIC but I find the former to be easier and less confusing to use than the latter.

I find that 2nd sentence interesting as they both use the same database, lol. But, yeah, rikaichan is pretty good, and it's A LOT better now than it was 2 years ago when I first started using it. I know it's pretty much a given, but still...lol. I like DeshiJisho...it's got a more modern interface than WWWJDIC.

You might want to check this and this page for an extensive list of tools and dictionaries.

The 2nd link is what I was browsing for a few hours last night, lol...has some good links on there, but most of the software looks like it hasn't been updated in a few years, heh. None-the-less, good material on both actually.

There is also Language Aid which is a system-wide dictionary though I think only for Mac.

[/quote]
Pretty much the same thing StarDict is, then, lol. But, LA does only run in Mac according to the site. The good thing is that StarDict can look up text in Firefox (something LA can't do apparently according to their FAQ).

Some pretty good links, though. :D
raevin

Postby astaroth » Tue 06.02.2009 4:11 pm

raevin wrote:I find that 2nd sentence interesting as they both use the same database

Sorry I meant the interface rather than the content.
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Postby Gundaetiapo » Tue 06.02.2009 5:43 pm

I use rikaichan (though I'm trying to limit myself ... :() and DeshiJisho which uses the database of WWWJDIC but I find the former to be easier and less confusing to use than the latter.

Former==rikaichan, latter==DeshiJisho? I quite agree, the rikaichan interface is easier. That's the point, in fact. ;)
Gundaetiapo

Postby astaroth » Tue 06.02.2009 6:20 pm

Gundaetiapo wrote:

Former==rikaichan, latter==DeshiJisho? I quite agree, the rikaichan interface is easier. That's the point, in fact. ;)

That sentence was quite ... anyway I meant DenshiJisho as compared to WWWJDIC.
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips