Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Not sure where to go

Not sure where to go

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Not sure where to go

Postby wachuwamekil » Wed 09.23.2009 1:26 pm

So I was thinking how awesome it would be to learn Japanese, I have a personal goal of understanding written Japanese (hopefully). But no real time table for having it done, it is all self-study.

I have managed to learn all of the Hiragana, and Katakana that was a snap (with the help of "Remembering the Kana" by James W. Heisig). Anyone struggling to recall the Kana get this book it is awesome. I think it took about 2 weeks to memorize both sets. I have been doing drills with an iPhone app that helps me with recall so that should not be a problem.

I was ready to take it to the next level and after some research I thought that 'Japanese for Everyone' would be a good next step. Well I have had the book for about 3 or 4 weeks now, and am not even half way into Chapter 1. I know a lot of self-study is discipline, but I am having a hard time wrapping my head around what is considered a good pace to go through this book?

For example if I were to take a college course and use this book, what pace would the class be done at? Would it be a lesson a week. Just trying to figure out how best to structure my self-study at this point. I am willing and able to spend an hour a day on material. Given that what would be a good goal for completing a lesson in 'Japanese for Everyone'? Or should I just scrap this book and pick up the Genki course.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Thx,

Ryan
wachuwamekil

Native language: NA

Re: Not sure where to go

Postby clay » Wed 09.23.2009 3:07 pm

Hi Ryan,

I was ready to take it to the next level and after some research I thought that 'Japanese for Everyone' would be a good next step. Well I have had the book for about 3 or 4 weeks now, and am not even half way into Chapter 1. I know a lot of self-study is discipline, but I am having a hard time wrapping my head around what is considered a good pace to go through this book?

I used the original edition and liked it a lot, BUT I did feel like it covered too much too quickly. I think of it as a great book for the highly, highly motivated. I'm not sure if they spaced things out better in the new edition.

Genki seems to be the most popular textbook series, but before spending money, you may want to try JFE a bit longer. If after a few weeks you don't feel like you are making much progress, then you can consider buying Genki or something else. I think the biggest mistake I made was feeling like I needed a new textbook to make further progress. But there are better (and cheaper) ways to keep up motivation.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips