Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - My study habbits

My study habbits

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

My study habbits

Postby kentaku_sama » Sat 10.31.2009 1:34 pm

Ok so now I've decided to get serious about japanese. Here's what I'm going to start doing:

I shall us anki to study words I kind of know.
I will make flash cards for stuff I don't know or barely know.
I bought a book called "Kanji and kana revised addition" to learn kanji. I will take about 10-7 a day and study them.
I will also practice writing kanji on grid paper pads. I don't want to order kanji pads off the internet when I can get grid pads at the store here.
I may buy a book on grammar later but for now I have genki and the internet not sure how to study grammar really. Can someone help me with this?

Well that's it for now, tell me if it's ok or not or something I may need to add.
kentaku_sama

Native language: English

Re: My study habbits

Postby clay » Sat 10.31.2009 9:24 pm

Genki will introduce grammar a little at a time. That is probably sufficient. At this point, I wouldn't buy a grammar book, but the Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar is an excellent reference.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby Sairana » Sun 11.01.2009 3:33 pm

kentaku_sama wrote: I shall us anki to study words I kind of know.
I will make flash cards for stuff I don't know or barely know.

Anki and flashcards work to review stuff you have learned, not really for learning them outright.

I bought a book called "Kanji and kana revised addition" to learn kanji. I will take about 10-7 a day and study them.

That book is an awesome resource. However, learning kanji that way is doomed to failure. I won't give you a long, drawn out spiel about it. You can try it for yourself and see. Even only doing 7-10 per day, you'll see your retention go down the toilet within 10 days -- guaranteed. Heck, even I would recommend the Heisig RTK method before I recommend someone attempt the "Learn kanji in a big list format."

Use it instead to look up stroke orders for kanji you encounter in your textbook.

I may buy a book on grammar later but for now I have genki and the internet not sure how to study grammar really. Can someone help me with this?

I want to back up Clay's thoughts on this bit. Genki (and other textbooks) will teach you grammar. Buying a specific grammar book is best for after you've gotten the basics through a couple of textbooks and need a quick resource or more detailed information.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby kentaku_sama » Mon 11.02.2009 7:28 pm

Ok what if I make it a few kanji at a time learning each one in context? Or are you talking about if there are kanji in the genki vocabulary list that I don't know such as: 弁士  ?
kentaku_sama

Native language: English

Postby lonelytraveler8 » Mon 11.02.2009 8:24 pm

I'm almost done with Genki I, so I'll go ahead and share my experiences, since I pretty much did, on my own, what the two others here have described. Genki has lessons in the back of the book for a little over 100 kanji (taking 15ish at a time). You're meant to do the entire reading/writing lesson for the 15 kanji, so you learn them in context.

I don't intend to do these lessons until after I finish the grammar lessons. Unfortunately, I still wanted to learn some Kanji. My idea was to go through the lessons in the back and pick out Kanji that are used in words I know. For example, 電気、電話、天気、and 話す require only 3 different kanji among them, so they were logical choices. In this case, I learned them in context. I use all of these words enough that I got plenty of practice in reading and writing them in my notebook.

Others may disagree, but I've found learning new grammar to be far, far more useful than learning new vocab and new kanji. If you don't understand the grammar, being able to read kanji won't help you at all. But if you do understand the grammar, then you can often look up a word/kanji you don't know. Looking up grammar is a lot more difficult.

So basically, just stick your textbook, Genki, and do what it has you do until you finish it. You can decide what to do next once you're almost done.
Blog: http://www.LicensedToChaos.arcrpg.co.cc
Do you like to roleplay? Have you heard of Play-By-Post? Give it a shot at ARCRPG and help us build a great community.
lonelytraveler8

Native language: 英語

Postby Sairana » Mon 11.02.2009 9:48 pm

lonelytraveler8 wrote:Others may disagree, but I've found learning new grammar to be far, far more useful than learning new vocab and new kanji. If you don't understand the grammar, being able to read kanji won't help you at all.

A lot of us around here share that exact sentiment.

I don't see a big reason to hold off on Kanji, though. For simple, recurring words and themes, it's easy enough to just learn the kanji that go with them. Starting in Genki chapter 3, it gives you the kanji for the words (even if it doesn't plan to use them later in the chapter) along with the reading in hiragana. You can use the readings to look them up in K&K for stroke orders if you like, or check the back of the Genki book to see if they're there.

My biggest advice is don't obsess over learning the kanji for ALL the words used in EVERY exercise. It's okay to write some in kana, and just pick up the kanji later. No senseless worrying about having everything perfect from day one.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips