Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Leitner/SRS question regarding scheduling

Leitner/SRS question regarding scheduling

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Leitner/SRS question regarding scheduling

Postby Snowflake » Sat 05.22.2010 12:09 pm

I understand the fundamentals of how SRS works and am currently learning through several programs that utilize it. It seems to be working as intended (hooray :D !), in that when I do finally get to my Group 5 lists, I seem to remember a good portion of them.

My question is: is it detrimental to move on to a grouping before its appointed time? Sometimes I find I've exhausted a group (let's say Group 3) and I'm craving something more to do. I want to study more more more (hehe crazy, right? :lol: )!!! Is it detrimental to the whole learning/retention scheme if I plow ahead and do some Group 4 or Group 5, even though I'm not scheduled to do them for another week or two? Will I mess up the long-term memory effect?

If it is detrimental, it's not a problem -- I can simply switch to a different learning source. I'm working with so many sources, it's not like I can't find something else to concentrate on when I'm on a study streak.
Snowflake

Native language: English

Re: Leitner/SRS question regarding scheduling

Postby furrykef » Sat 05.22.2010 1:31 pm

Yep, you shouldn't review too early. Occasionally I get on a really good kick and I'm disappointed to see that I've already finished all my items for the day and would like to get tomorrow's out of the way, but it's better to just wait.

Apparently reviewing prematurely was so commonplace at kanji.koohii.com (which uses a Leitner-like system with Heisig) that recently the site's webmaster outright disabled the feature that allowed you to review early.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Re: Leitner/SRS question regarding scheduling

Postby Snowflake » Sat 05.22.2010 5:13 pm

Thanks for the reply! I had a feeling that was the answer but I wasn't able to find it anywhere. Lots of info on how Leitner/SRS works, but none (that I could find) addressing that particular point. Anyway, I just had a feeling that if I didn't allow the data enough time to properly burrow its way into my subconscious, it would never, ever get there. At would never become "part" of me, as natural and automatic as saying AAAA when I see the letter "A".

I guess, when I'm on a roll and get to the end of a vocab or kanji grouping, I'll just have to switch gears and work on something else. Maybe grammar... :shock:
Snowflake

Native language: English

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips