Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Dictionary of basic/intermediate/advanced grammar

Dictionary of basic/intermediate/advanced grammar

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Dictionary of basic/intermediate/advanced grammar

Postby ZetaFox » Mon 09.20.2010 10:20 pm

Apologize sincerely if a topic like this has been posted already (haven't had any luck with search). I have been looking to invest some cash into books. Not necessarily textbooks (well, not excluding textbooks either). The problem is that I really have a limited budget for studies outside my classwork, and I do not want to waste it on complete beginners materials with the expected 'john doe goes to school' sentences.

Getting to topic, has anyone used these books (see thread title)? What are your thoughts? Their use of kanji? Rather than get some book for complete beginners and only having a small amount of new material to me (or something that is over my head), I have opted for some form of reference which is somewhat comprehensive. If anyone has any input on these books, please let me know.
ZetaFox

Native language: English

Re: Dictionary of basic/intermediate/advanced grammar

Postby chikara » Mon 09.20.2010 10:44 pm

I have A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar and I find it quite a useful resource. I wouldn't say it is for complete beginners but there is no reason why a complete beginner wouldn't be able to get some use from it.

It gives its example sentences in kanji and kana with romaji below. For example;

村井さんは昼ご飯をたべにうちへ帰った
Murai-san wa hirugohan o tabe ni uchi e kaetta

This video posted on youtube by Clay-san should give you a good idea of what is in the book.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby ZetaFox » Tue 09.21.2010 10:59 am

ありがとございます、chikaraさん :dance:
ZetaFox

Postby Stefan » Thu 10.14.2010 9:06 pm

全巻は非常に良いよ。おおおおおおおお お勧めよ。買わなくてはだめ。
Stefan

Postby Philip Seyfi » Tue 12.28.2010 3:47 pm

I'd say that if you buy three books, buy the Dictionaries of basic/intermediate/advanced grammar. In my opinion those are some of the most useful Japanese-related books, with well organized material, and lots of information about various nuances and special uses; something you can't always find on the internet.
Philip Seyfi

Native language: Russian

Postby ylime » Wed 12.29.2010 2:27 am

I have all three books, and love them! If I need to look up some grammar point I've never seen before, or something I forget I'll go to these books first. Almost all the time I can find what I'm looking for in one of them. Great books. Kind of expensive, but I got mine cheap. :D
ylime

Postby Miaow » Wed 02.16.2011 12:41 am

Zetafox,
I agree with everyone who replied - these Dictionaries of Japanese Grammar are VERY useful - I used to use "Japanese the Spoken Language" for additional grammar descriptions when I required them, but these Dictionaries are much better - look-up for grammar points is quicker. (Side Note: JSL is cited in the bibliography.)

There are copious, very helpful Appendixes - my favourites are the guides/tips for reading/navigating through a Japanese sentence.

I just have the Basic and Intermediate Dictionaries at the moment. Another helpful feature is that the Index of the Intermediate Dictionary also contains entries for the Basic Dictionary. I'm guessing the Advanced Dictionary contains entries for all three (am I correct?)

The Basic Dictionary contains both kanji/kana and romaji, but the Intermediate dispenses with the romaji and instead includes furigana. (I LOVE this! ^_^)

Very great books! I highly recommend them!
= ^. .^ =
~Miaow~
にゃあにゃあ
Miaow

Postby baskerville » Thu 04.25.2013 2:45 am

I also love how the grammar points are organized in this set and the book also notes which structures/patterns are related. The index at the back also tells you which grammar point can be found in which page of which dictionary.
...And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make...
baskerville

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips