Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - What do you think

What do you think

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

What do you think

Postby themonk » Thu 10.21.2010 6:29 pm

of these two texts:
1.Everyone's Japanese
2.Japanese Genki
Last edited by themonk on Wed 08.03.2011 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
themonk
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon 09.20.2010 8:31 am
Native language: NA

Re: What do you think of these two "textbooks"

Postby 血まみれ剣術師 » Thu 10.21.2010 7:55 pm

Simply by face value along with people's reviews it seems like they're good books to learn from. Keep in mind that the Genki series have audio along with other many various materials. I own the Genki Textbook 1, Workbook 1, Student [audio] CD, and Teacher's Manual. I find the Genki series to be effective for those wishing to learn Japanese. If you were to choose Genki, you wouldn't be going wrong. :D Keep in mind that in order to learn Japanese more in-depth you should have a multi approach. You can learn quite a bit from Genki or a lot of books alone, but it's best to have a combination of various learning materials. You also have to take into consideration your paticular learning style. lol

Example Lineup
Student Book (Genki Series)
Workbook (Genki Series)
Grammar Book (Kodansha International)
Audio Companion (Genki Series)
Kana + Kanji Flash Cards (White Rabbit Press)
Software Program (Rosetta)
Japanese - English Dictionary (Kodansha International)
Kanji Dictionary/Reference (Kodansha International)
Japanese Reading Material (Books, Magazines, Newspapers, Manga, and etc...)
In-Person Learning Buddy
Etc...

Some of this can be found online and doesn't have to be bought.

Starting with a student book such as Genki would be a good place to start. There's plenty of online resources to help you fill the gaps where needed.
血まみれ剣術師
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed 09.16.2009 8:26 pm
Location: North Carolina
Native language: English

Re: What do you think of these two "textbooks"

Postby themonk » Mon 10.25.2010 7:23 pm

Thank you Master for your quick reply. Sorry that I was unable to write this thank-you note sooner, but I read every word that you wrote.

Do you care to recommend some of the websites that you have found most helpful and effective in aiding your study? Would you like to share how you used them (frequency, use after you learned a Genki lession, etc.) ?

Await your answer. Thank you.



血まみれ剣術師 wrote:Simply by face value along with people's reviews it seems like they're good books to learn from. Keep in mind that the Genki series have audio along with other many various materials. I own the Genki Textbook 1, Workbook 1, Student [audio] CD, and Teacher's Manual. I find the Genki series to be effective for those wishing to learn Japanese. If you were to choose Genki, you wouldn't be going wrong. :D Keep in mind that in order to learn Japanese more in-depth you should have a multi approach. You can learn quite a bit from Genki or a lot of books alone, but it's best to have a combination of various learning materials. You also have to take into consideration your paticular learning style. lol

Example Lineup
Student Book (Genki Series)
Workbook (Genki Series)
Grammar Book (Kodansha International)
Audio Companion (Genki Series)
Kana + Kanji Flash Cards (White Rabbit Press)
Software Program (Rosetta)
Japanese - English Dictionary (Kodansha International)
Kanji Dictionary/Reference (Kodansha International)
Japanese Reading Material (Books, Magazines, Newspapers, Manga, and etc...)
In-Person Learning Buddy
Etc...

Some of this can be found online and doesn't have to be bought.

Starting with a student book such as Genki would be a good place to start. There's plenty of online resources to help you fill the gaps where needed.
themonk
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon 09.20.2010 8:31 am
Native language: NA

Re: What do you think of these two "textbooks"

Postby 血まみれ剣術師 » Mon 10.25.2010 10:09 pm

Links for Learning Japanese TJP Thread
It's full of sites. :wink:

TJP Learn
Right here in good old TJP. :D

Genki Study Room
I've used the study room to help me. It’s meant to work with Genki textbooks. :)

WWWJDIC
WWWJDIC is an online dictionary I use on a regular basis. :dance:

Read the Kanji
Someone turned me onto this site awhile back. It’s a nifty website to learn off of. :P

JLPT Kanji Project
It’s an ok online Kanji learning aid. I used it a few times, but not really anymore. :neutral:

Nihongo :sweatdrop:
I used it for a short while until I learned about Read the Kanji. As far as I am aware the site is no longer around, so don’t bother searching for it. :think:
血まみれ剣術師
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed 09.16.2009 8:26 pm
Location: North Carolina
Native language: English

Re: What do you think of these two "textbooks"

Postby The Lady Ashuko » Tue 11.09.2010 5:50 pm

For online dictionaries, I use jisho.org ALL the time.
吾輩は猫である。名前はまだ無い。
User avatar
The Lady Ashuko
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue 07.06.2010 12:38 pm
Location: テキサス
Native language: English
Gender: Female

Re: What do you think of these two "textbooks"

Postby chikara » Tue 11.09.2010 9:01 pm

血まみれ剣術師 wrote:......
WWWJDIC
WWWJDIC is an online dictionary I use on a regular basis. :dance:
......

The Lady Ashuko wrote:For online dictionaries, I use jisho.org ALL the time.

Be aware that although Denshi Jisho (jisho.org) has a different interface to Jim Breen's WWWJDIC it uses the same dictionary data files.

jisho.org;
Denshi Jisho (meaning "electronic dictionary") is an online Japanese dictionary that focuses on powerful search features and an easy-to-use interface. The data comes from Jim Breen's WWWJDIC project ..............


I have JBrute on my laptop which also uses the same dictionary files as WWWJDIC but allows me to access this information when an internet connection is not available.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
User avatar
chikara
 
Posts: 3577
Joined: Tue 07.11.2006 10:48 pm
Location: Australia (SA)
Native language: English (Australian)
Gender: Male

Re: What do you think of these two "textbooks"

Postby 血まみれ剣術師 » Wed 11.10.2010 11:02 am

Thanks, I didn't know you could access it offline. :)

chikara wrote:
血まみれ剣術師 wrote:......
WWWJDIC
WWWJDIC is an online dictionary I use on a regular basis. :dance:
......

The Lady Ashuko wrote:For online dictionaries, I use jisho.org ALL the time.

Be aware that although Denshi Jisho (jisho.org) has a different interface to Jim Breen's WWWJDIC it uses the same dictionary data files.

jisho.org;
Denshi Jisho (meaning "electronic dictionary") is an online Japanese dictionary that focuses on powerful search features and an easy-to-use interface. The data comes from Jim Breen's WWWJDIC project ..............


I have JBrute on my laptop which also uses the same dictionary files as WWWJDIC but allows me to access this information when an internet connection is not available.
血まみれ剣術師
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed 09.16.2009 8:26 pm
Location: North Carolina
Native language: English

Re: What do you think of these two "textbooks"

Postby Philip Seyfi » Tue 12.28.2010 4:47 pm

Some of the best online dictionaries are Jisho and Tangorin. A very good software dictionary is Tagaini Jisho.

As for websites, check out the Japanese learning community NihongoUp...
Philip Seyfi
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue 12.28.2010 10:11 am
Native language: Russian


Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests