Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - I need a little help with Minna no Nihongo

I need a little help with Minna no Nihongo

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

I need a little help with Minna no Nihongo

Postby zee88 » Thu 10.06.2011 4:08 am

Konnichiwa minna-san,

I'm new here. I need a little help with Minna no Nihongo. I have all the books and audio (I believe so). But, there's one section in each chapters that I don't really understand what is that all about.
It's called Mondai, there's a little picture of cassette tape beside the number, so I'm pretty sure it's listening comprehensive exercise, but the problem is, I never find the track for that "Mondai" in the audio CD.
So, how do you guys work on that? please advise me where i can get the audio. I've been looking for the track all over the CDs I have.

Here I attached the picture of that "Mondai" section...
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (41.17 KiB) Viewed 3008 times

Thanks a lot ^^
zee88

Native language: NA

Re: I need a little help with Minna no Nihongo

Postby chikara » Sun 10.09.2011 10:59 pm

TJPへようこそ :wave:

もんだい (問題) means "question" and, although I have no experience of Minna no Nihongo, I believe you are correct in assuming that these are listening comprehension exercises. My understanding is that the audio CD contains a recording of the conversation, the reading matter, and listening comprehension questions found in each chapter. I suspect the questions are most likely at the end of the audio for each chapter so you may not have listened far enough into the CD to reach them.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby micahcowan » Mon 10.10.2011 2:25 pm

chikara wrote:もんだい (問題) means "question"...

Well, it doesn't necessarily quite mean "question", yeah? More "problem" or (in this context) "exercise". There may or may not be actual questions involved (though in this case I suspect they are questions whose answers you're meant to write.

Without actually having the materials, though, I can't help you find where on the CD or tape you're meant to find the particular problem set for a given lesson. I'd imagine it'd be printed on the CD label or something; is that not hte case?
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Postby chikara » Tue 10.11.2011 7:36 pm

micahcowan wrote:

Well, it doesn't necessarily quite mean "question", yeah? More "problem" or (in this context) "exercise". ....

And I thought I was pedantic. :P

In that context I see "question", "problem" and "exercise" as being interchangeable. I imagine it depends on where you went to school and when. :)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby micahcowan » Wed 10.12.2011 2:58 pm

chikara wrote:
micahcowan wrote:

Well, it doesn't necessarily quite mean "question", yeah? More "problem" or (in this context) "exercise". ....

And I thought I was pedantic. :P

In that context I see "question", "problem" and "exercise" as being interchangeable. I imagine it depends on where you went to school and when. :)

What I meant was, you could be asked to write down, or transform the conversation (as opposed to replying to a conversation consisting of questions), which makes it clearly not a "question", but an exercise or problem set. I don't see any obvious signs to clarify which is the case for this specific case (except that the example starting いいえ at least hints at questions being answered); I just didn't want to mislead the OP in case questions weren't actually involved with the problem set here.
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips