Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Advanced Japanese book recommendations?

Advanced Japanese book recommendations?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Advanced Japanese book recommendations?

Postby denjin » Thu 05.03.2012 4:55 am

Hello!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good book to work from that would be at a level that is more advanced than Japanese for Busy People III? I studied Japanese in college and also went to Waseda and then lived in Japan for a while. But, in terms of local classes (Birmingham UK), the most advanced one just uses the above textbook, which is stuff I already know.

So, any idea what would be good to try? I was considering trying one of the following:
  • Advanced Japanese: Communication in Context
  • AN INTEGRATED APPROACH TO INTERMEDIATE JAPANESE
  • Aozora?

Although at my level most is just a refresher probably - hard to improve after a point if you don't use Japanese every day. I know I learned an insane amount when I lived there but just don't use it hardly at all now!

Denjin / Cassie
人間は人間だ。
denjin

Native language: English (英語)

Re: Advanced Japanese book recommendations?

Postby jishera » Mon 07.09.2012 1:59 pm

You might want to take a look at Tobira and An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese.

Most people seem to enjoy Tobira a lot. I have it and have flipped through it, but I'm not done with my beginner's textbook yet. I like the overall structure from what I've seen, and I did a lot of research before buying it.

Here's a discussion about Tobira vs. AIAIJ:
http://thejapanesepage.com/forum/viewto ... 953f44a3d9

After an intermediate book, I think some of the options for an advanced textbook are Authentic Japanese: Progressing from Intermediate to Advanced, Nihongo Chukyu J501, or JLPT N2/N1 review books.

Here are a couple comparison tables for textbooks:
http://rtkwiki.koohii.com/wiki/Comparis ... ooks_Table
http://thejapanesepage.com/w/index.php? ... tbook_List

(I realize this is an older topic, but figured my response might be helpful to others with the same question).

Good luck!
jishera

Native language: English

Postby Stefan » Fri 09.21.2012 3:40 pm

how about "a dictionary of advanced japanese grammar" ??
Stefan

Postby jimbreen » Fri 09.21.2012 6:48 pm

Stefan wrote:how about "a dictionary of advanced japanese grammar" ??

Get all three; the Basic and Intermediate as well. They are best as a package.

The two I really recommend are William McLure's "Using Japanese: A Guide to Contemporary Usage", and Jay Rubin's "Making Sense of Japanese". Neither are really textbooks in the usual sense; they help you dig into the language.

Jim
jimbreen

Postby baskerville » Mon 06.17.2013 7:36 am

jishera wrote: Nihongo Chukyu J501, or JLPT N2/N1 review books.
Good luck!
I agree with the above suggestions. Not sure what the coverage of JBP III has covered but maybe J301 would also be useful. For the JLPT N2 and N1 materials, I would recommend the kanzen master series (the grammar books have been very useful for me). I also agree with jimbreen-san regarding getting the entire set of A ___ Dictionary of Japanese Grammar. I use these 3 regularly in my studies no matter what level I am in.
...And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make...
baskerville

Native language: English

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips