Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Subtitle Viewer for SRT files

Subtitle Viewer for SRT files

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Subtitle Viewer for SRT files

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Mon 06.10.2013 12:46 pm

I've put together a little app to watch subtitles independently of the video, useful (to me anyway) for watching streaming videos that don't supply Japanese language subtitles. Also could go with any other app, presumably.

Currently it's in the experimental ('alpha') stage, it doesn't even have a name yet really. (I'm thinking 'jimakuman' - 字幕マン - but maybe that's too cheesy? Hmmm.)

It has controls as follows,
' < ' slow subtitles by 0.5 seconds
' <a ' previous subtitle
' a> ' next subtitle
' > ' hasten subtitles by 0.5 seconds
' || ' - ' > ' pause/play
Open File - select an SRT file and as soon as you open it, the clock starts running and it will display your subtitles.
Quit

It's 'always on top' in order to better see it when playing a video in a web browser or other application. This can't be changed.

It only knows about SRT files, will crash if you feed it a bad file name or otherwise upset it as I don't catch a single exception, and for some annoying reason it pops up an empty console window when you run it. It probably only runs on some 64 bit windows machines because I don't have any way to cross-compile.
Some diagnostic information is constantly printed "T: time in seconds N: (next subtitle index) next subtitle time in seconds"

If you've read this far without being scared off and if you want, you can try it out (as is and at your own risk). If it's not obvious the app is 'run.exe' in the SubtitleViewer folder created by unpacking the Zip.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/wc62t ... Viewer.zip

If you are really brave and have Python3.3 installed you can try to run the script directly,
http://www.mediafire.com/download/yqgi7 ... 7jt/run.py
SomeCallMeChris

Native language: English

Re: Subtitle Viewer for SRT files

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Tue 06.18.2013 3:12 pm

I've uploaded a new version to the same location (links in the original post should work).

Over a dozen people have downloaded, and I haven't heard any complaints yet so I assume it's at least running for people. I would appreciate it if people could let me know what kind of systems they're having success on, and of course, any problems.

The new version -

- Handles 'next title' and 'previous title' actions properly even when paused. You could read the whole show without ever letting the clock run if you like.

- Catches a couple likely errors and gives a 'No File' message instead of simply crashing when you open a non-existent file or a non-srt file.

- Fixes a bug where the last title was overwritten by the end message as soon as it was displayed.

- The .exe version was properly compiled as a 'GUI' app and the useless console window won't pop up anymore.

I'm planning to change to the wxWindows toolkit after this, so the next version may be substantially different. As far as I can tell, though, it's impossible to get the transparency effects I want with Tkinter. Not sure yet that I can do what I want with wxWindows either, but I'm going to keep fiddling with it.
SomeCallMeChris

Native language: English

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips