Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Something I noticed

Something I noticed

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Something I noticed

Postby kkh40219 » Fri 06.28.2013 6:35 pm

Hello TJP-users.

This is just something I noticed. I live in the Netherlands and speak fluently Dutch. When they were teaching us English, they made us think in Dutch and translate that into English. First it was a pain in the ass. You'd get frustrated because you couldn't find the right words for your sentence and such. Grades were also bad Thus I started thinking in English in English class and it helped a lot. Recalling words, grammar, listening and writing were given a boost. Now I tried applying this with Japanese and I was suprised. Although it is still simple sentences, it helps.

Now I'm not sure if everyone is already doing it, because alot of my friends suck in English. They sounded Dutch and used alot of time to think about what they were going to say. Thinking in the language you are learning really helped for me.

Did anyone else notice this?
kkh40219

Native language: Chinese

Re: Something I noticed

Postby Shiroisan » Sat 06.29.2013 5:12 am

For most people it's not as easy to think in another language as simply deciding to, or flipping a switch. It's great that you're able to, usually it will take a long period of time to develop that skill. Keep it up ^_^
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Re: Something I noticed

Postby furrykef » Wed 07.03.2013 2:06 am

Yes, thinking in your target language is always a good thing. I've actually caught myself thinking in Spanish (while not doing anything related to the language) and not realizing it until I happened to need a word I didn't know offhand how to say. I've also caught myself forming sentences in my head using three different languages. I've also had occasions where I read a sentence in a foreign language and I realized I instantly understood what it means but had trouble translating it to English. That's a sure sign that I'm not relying on my English to understand the sentence.

A lot of people advise against learning a language by translating sentences because then you will be stuck thinking in your native language while you try writing or conversing in the foreign language. In my experience, at least, this does not actually happen. I study by translating sentences and I find that when I read Spanish, I think in Spanish; when I read Japanese, I think in Japanese. It just comes naturally to me. I only start thinking in English once I'm struggling with something difficult and I have to puzzle it out.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips