Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Best beginner's textbook for a 13-year-old self studier?

Best beginner's textbook for a 13-year-old self studier?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Best beginner's textbook for a 13-year-old self studier?

Postby Kailene » Sun 12.04.2016 1:23 am

Hey all! This is my first time on this page in eons, but I was a heavy user when I first started studying Japanese (wow, was that like 8 years ago??) Not sure if any of my generation is still lurking around on here, but if so, I went under the name "kissyoukisshu!" Unfortunately, I somehow lost my old account when the website was revamped, but it's good seeing the community still active. As a brief update on my situation, I've been working in a Japanese graphic design firm in Tokyo for the past three days, and I also do regular modeling and TV Variety Show work as well. Hard work pays off!

Down to business. My youngest sister is currently 13 years old, and has expressed an interest in studying Japanese. She is currently homeschooled, and there are no Japanese classes/tutors she can learn from. In other words, she is going to self-study like me! I plan to help answer questions and practice speaking with her, but the time difference/busy schedule will make regular lessons impossible.

I had GREAT experience with the Genki program. However, I have a feeling that it's a little too advanced for the average 13-year-old to get into. She needs to learn a foreign language, and since her sister is living in Japan, she decided to study Japanese. However, she doesn't have the same passion, and I'm afraid Genki might scare her off.

What textbooks/books would you guys recommend for a young learner of Japanese? Something that's a little slower paced than the Genki series?

Thanks all!
★生麦生米生卵★
Kailene

Native language: 英語

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips