Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Manga

Manga

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Manga

Postby vuilerat52 » Tue 01.17.2006 8:35 am

Hi
I'd like to start reading manga, but I have to look up too many words and i sometimes don't even get the grammar. I'm currently studieing Japanese for Busy People I (kana edition) and my question is: will I be able too read manga when I finish this book? (I'm at chapter 5 now) and can somebody please recommend me some good beginner manga, prefferably without kanji, or atleast with furigana.
Thanks in advance.
vuilerat52

RE: Manga

Postby IkimashoZ » Tue 01.17.2006 6:42 pm

The kanji aren't really what make manga difficult (assuming you're thinking of reading a manga written for children, which will undoubtedly have full furigana notation). What makes manga hard is the use of casual forms and slang that are not usually taught in textbooks. The grammar used in textbooks assumes that you'll want to have polite discussions with adults. And ironically, most of us just want to dick around in manga and stuff like that. I see the same thing in my junior high English classes -- the English that exists in textbooks is nothing like what is actually spoken.

So, here's what you do. First, supplement your study in Japanese for Busy People with http://www.guidetojapanese.com. It's more comprehensive, but there are no excercises, so don't throw your textbook away. If you want a full grammar reference I recommend "A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar" and its 'Intermediate' counterpart. Both are avialable on http://www.thejapanshop.net. And, of course there's my site. Hit the link in my sig, or see the other thread about manga on this board.

- Matt
Ist das einen Kanji, dass ich gefunden habe??
IkimashoZ

Postby vuilerat52 » Wed 01.18.2006 5:37 am

Ok, thank you very much, but should i finish my book and then use that grammarguide site, or should i stop using my book until i've finnished that site?
vuilerat52

Postby IkimashoZ » Wed 01.18.2006 5:49 pm

vuilerat52 wrote:
Ok, thank you very much, but should i finish my book and then use that grammarguide site, or should i stop using my book until i've finnished that site?

I'd say, keep working through your book. Each time you get to a new grammar point, looking it up in guidetojapanese.com. After you're done with the book(s), read through the whole http://www.guidetojapanese.com website in order.

Ultimately, you should do whatever confuses you the least.
Last edited by IkimashoZ on Wed 01.18.2006 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ist das einen Kanji, dass ich gefunden habe??
IkimashoZ

Postby vuilerat52 » Thu 01.19.2006 11:20 am

Ok, i'll try that, thank you for your help:D
vuilerat52

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips