Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kanji Games?

Kanji Games?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Kanji Games?

Postby WacKostRacKo » Sun 02.12.2006 6:44 pm

Dunno if anyone has done this already, but when im learning kanji i usually just write it out loads of time, whilst saying the readings. Then i write out the words it is in to reinforce them. It starting to really bore me now, does anyone know of any fun ways to learn kanji? such as games or anything?

ta
tanuki wrote:
How about:

外人: これはすしです。すしが好きです。
日本人: おお!日本語が上手ですね。
外人: Erm....what?

story of my life...
WacKostRacKo

RE: Kanji Games?

Postby Sachi » Sun 02.12.2006 6:58 pm

I've don the same thing. I don't know any games, though... I was going to ask my dad to help me write a simple program that could quiz you on kanji (he's a computer guy XD), but that's about all I could come up with.

Great question, though, because now I'm curious to see what everyone else can come up with ;)
Sachi

Postby ashitaka » Sun 02.12.2006 7:20 pm

check thejapanshop and under downloads you will find a 3 in 1 thing with a game called kanji invaders
ashitaka

Postby mandolin » Sun 02.12.2006 7:51 pm

Two I can think of off the top of my head. They each approach kanji differently, and each have their drawbacks.

First, is Knuckles in Chinaland.
Link: KiCL

Platform:
This game requires windows with the .NET Framework installed.

Graphics/Storyline:
Visually comparable to a 16-bit Sega Genesis game with bright and vivid color, and an overall sharp look. The storyline is cute and witty, just the thing to brighten up a game that is fundamentally about studying something. :)

Learning:
Teaches Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji (can skip the kana via in-game option)

Kanji learning is in "traditional western style". That's a phrase I just made up with some inspiration from AJ Bryant's post in another thread. That is, you learn the basic meaning, and on/kun readings of each kanji as it comes up.

It has flash-card style teaching system which is accomplished in a "card game" battle.

You are given a "familiarity rating" with each kanji. When you get it correct in battle, your rating moves up, and if you get it wrong, your familiarity goes down. The familiarity rating determines how frequently you see any given kanji. The more familiar you are, the less often you will encounter it in battle.

Features:

Vocabulary editor - make your own "battle cards"
--- NEW since I bothered playing this game: a section on the site with other people's premade vocabulary packs, including kanji and vocab according to JLPT level, and a pack of Kanji cards based on Heisig's "Remembering the Kanji" book.
"Save anywhere"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Second, is Slime Forest Adventure
Link: SFA
Note: Scroll down the page past the "Intro/Core/Plus/Gold" donation boxes to get to the free download

Platform: Windows, Mac, and Linux

Graphics/Storyline:

8-bit original NES-style graphics, a la Dragon Warrior. The story... well. The story doesn't really exist. Some of the NPC's are funny, but the game is unfinished. You can "save the princess" and "win" but there are inaccessable areas. Visually, this game is lacking. But that's not why we play, right?

Learning:
Teaches Hiragana, Katajana, and Kanji.

Also has a "flashcard" sort of effect, though in battle, you're fighting slimes, not cards. Each slime will "yell" out a japanese character, and you type the answer. For hiragana/katakana, you answer with the romaji reading. For Kanji, see the next paragraph.

Kanji is taught in a semi-heisig method, in that you are given the kanji, and your answer is a single, pre-determined english equivalent (heisig calls them "keywords"). On the first encounter with a kanji, you inevitably get it wrong, and are given a mnemonic device along with the correct answer. The mnemonics are funny and for me were extremely effective in helping me remember.

Reinforcement is intuitive. The game forces a review every so often, and especially when you run the game approximately 24 hrs since the last time you ran it, it will automatically review what you learned last session before going into new ones.

Wrong answers result in more frequent occurrences in future battles.

Features:

Inn-based saving system (must go to the inn and pay to save)
--- worth noting that if you don't come back to the game in 1 day, it keeps track of how many days you were away to "penalize" you. I think it's supposed to be a way to make you want to practice every day, but money is so easy to get, it's a non-issue...

Review mode available - force the game to only introduce things you've already done, regardless of familiarity (right answers)

Selectable "learning speed" -- determine how slowly/quickly new characters are introduced

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comparison:

KiCL wins in the graphics and story department.

KiCL also has a more comprehensive coverage of Kanji. However, it lacks meaningful mnemonic devices.

SFA has mnemonics, but lacks readings. Supposedly, readings are to be added at a later date, as well as multiple "meanings", according to the website.

Heisig fans can use either game, now that KiCL had someone put up a heisig pack for the vocabulary editor.

Personally, I HATE the fact that KiCL requires the .NET Framework to run. Doesn't change the fact that I installed it and played the game, though. :) Mac and Linux users are out of luck, though.

Hope that's enough info to get you started. I played both games for each one's unique focus. Both games have a rabid fanboy community, so I wouldn't even bother going to either one's forums unless you want to hide the fact that you play the opposing game too. :o
Last edited by mandolin on Sun 02.12.2006 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mandolin

Postby Sachi » Sun 02.12.2006 7:56 pm

Thanks, mandolin. :) Actually, I tried KiCL, but being a Mac user, found myslf stuck. Good thing the other one runs on Macs. :D
Sachi

Postby shikamarufoo » Sun 02.12.2006 9:39 pm

Thanks for the games Mandolin, I'm going to add it to my routines of studying kanji;)!
Last edited by shikamarufoo on Sun 02.12.2006 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shikamarufoo

Postby ashitaka » Sun 02.12.2006 9:44 pm

i have played both that mandolin said. kicl is the better one but i cant get it to do just hiragana, it teaches katakana first. it also comes with diferent languages to learn. slime forest is good but i havent gotten far.
madolin that was a [url]great review[/url]
ashitaka

Postby WacKostRacKo » Mon 02.13.2006 5:51 am

Thanks Mandolin (i think someone has spent a long time playing those games...)

I do actually have Slime Forest Adventure but use it to reinforce the kana once i have learnt it (because i am very competative and get upset if i keep getting things wrong)! I think that the kanji side of the game is pretty awful tho, i mean that it teaches the kanji in groups of 5 or 6 and they all have the same radicle and/or they all look the same, so its really hard to differentiate between them at the beginning. It would just be much simplier if they tought all the numbers, then all the days of the week etc...

I was thinking about this last night, (it is now the morning in blighty) and i was wondering if 'snap' could be used to learn kanji. For example:

make kanji cards as normal (my kanji cards do not have the translations on the front) and are placed down facing up on the table, the first person to say the reading gets the card, and the first to get all the cards wins. How about that? Its not exactly genius but it might be fun, what do other people think?

ta
tanuki wrote:
How about:

外人: これはすしです。すしが好きです。
日本人: おお!日本語が上手ですね。
外人: Erm....what?

story of my life...
WacKostRacKo

Postby maco » Wed 02.15.2006 12:22 pm

http://www.coolest.com/penpen
Help PenPen the penguin move the ice blocks of kanji to the matching hiragana and English blocks.
maco

Postby the_marqz » Fri 02.17.2006 6:18 pm

Great games all but the best I found was Knuckles in China Land the only thing I didn't like no phonetics and no sound.
the_marqz

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips