Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Compound Verbs

Compound Verbs

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Compound Verbs

Postby Shibakoen » Sun 02.19.2006 12:53 am

Does anyone know of a book on compound verbs? 受けとめてくれ threw me for a loop today, and I know that verbs like 切る、来る、取る、etc. are commonly used in conjunction with other verbs, so I was just wondering if anyone knew of a book specializing in these verbal compounds.
Shibakoen

RE: Compound Verbs

Postby mechakucha » Sun 02.19.2006 1:35 am

Try Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar. There's a whole section on Compound Verbs (~kakaru, ~naosu, ~tomeru, ~kaesu) Compound Articles (ni oite, ni tsuite, wo chuushin ni, etc...), and the different Conjunction types that are listed in Kana order. Price is around 3000 Yen. (In UK, they were selling this for 40 Pounds last I heard, pretty expensive).
Or "Japanese Verbs at a Glance" by Naoko Chino. Think its in the TJP Store.
Hope that helps
mechakucha

Postby Shibakoen » Sun 02.19.2006 11:09 pm

Good idea, but I've already got that book. It is really good, I was just wondering if there's anything more specialized because a lot of these structures seem idiomatic. I mean, sometimes the meaning is pretty straight forward and formulaic, but other times it's really not. And the wide use of them just continues to befuddle me. It's not as bad when I'm reading or listening Japanese as it is when I'm trying to use Japanese. It's like I feel I know there's a verb combination out there to express what I want to say, but I just can't come up with it..
Shibakoen

Postby Oracle » Mon 02.20.2006 12:50 am

Shibakoen wrote:
Good idea, but I've already got that book. It is really good, I was just wondering if there's anything more specialized because a lot of these structures seem idiomatic. I mean, sometimes the meaning is pretty straight forward and formulaic, but other times it's really not. And the wide use of them just continues to befuddle me. It's not as bad when I'm reading or listening Japanese as it is when I'm trying to use Japanese. It's like I feel I know there's a verb combination out there to express what I want to say, but I just can't come up with it..

I think it's a combination of studying the common compounds which have "regular" meanings ie 〜込む meaning to "go into" / "do something deeply" so you get 話し込む、追い込む、考え込む etc. These cover about 80% of cases.

then it's listening out for the more idiomatic expressions, which I think you get with lots of exposure to spoken/written Japanese.

I don't think there's a really easy way; Using them yourself in a natural way is hard until you've heard them used in conversation.

I mean, who would ever guess what 金を巻き上げる means just from look at the two verbs? :)
Last edited by Oracle on Mon 02.20.2006 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oracle

Native language: English

Postby coco » Mon 02.20.2006 3:35 am

Shibakoen wrote:
受けとめてくれ threw me for a loop today

:D are you able to find the "Handbook of Japanese compound verbs"(日本語複合動詞ハンドブック) on US Amazon site ? (ISBN 4-590-00763-0 C-CODE 2081 NDC 815.5 It was published in 1986.) seems the used are available.

I have just gotten some sample pages. It looks very fine. sample sentences are useful(and funny,hehe).Every sample sentences are written in three ways,ro-maji, 日本語 and English.
like..........
あばきだす [color=gray](form the "Dictioary of Compound Verbs 200"part.)
[1]
V1 abaku=expose some criminal or confidential matter
V2 dasu =dig out expose
CV ="means−gole”=dig up some criminal or confidential matter and .....(omitted)..
[2] not simple exposure; digging-up process is....(The rest is omitted)..
[3] [people] ga [matter] o abakidasu
[4]
Imasara kako no koto o abakidashitatte shikata ga nai.
いまさら過去のことをあばきだしたってしかたがない。
"It's no use raking up the past at this late date" [/color]
----- the another 3-4 sample sentences are continued ----------

However I did't read all, I can not guarantee all. :p
If you can see it at Kinokuniya in CA(?), better to check before purchase.

編集 転記ミス^^;
Last edited by coco on Mon 02.20.2006 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby Shibakoen » Mon 02.20.2006 4:34 pm

Dude. coco, you're awesome. I'll be in Tokyo in a couple weeks so I'm sure I'll be stopping by the Kinokuniya sometime! Arigatooo! And Oracle, that might take me a while...
Last edited by Shibakoen on Mon 02.20.2006 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shibakoen

Postby coco » Thu 03.09.2006 7:29 pm

芝公園さん。If you need to get the book, better to confirm whether 書店 has it or not. Bcause that book published 86年 and don't have so many copies, I guess. In the worst case, you may need 3weeks since you order the book. How about asking your girlfriend to phone call 紀伊国屋 or other 書店 like 三省堂、丸善? befor you go to 東京.
There are many problems with books distribution system in Japan.
Last edited by coco on Thu 03.09.2006 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby keatonatron » Thu 03.09.2006 10:09 pm

I like 有隣堂. There's a 6-story one near my house that has anything you could possibly want. If you can't find that specific book, you could probably find a good substitute.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips