Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - It's a Kanji Game~!!!

It's a Kanji Game~!!!

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

RE: It's a Kanji Game~!!!

Postby Gan » Wed 02.22.2006 2:15 pm

But 今(now) the 日and the 月 had to find a plan sutible enough to make the 花 happy, which is hard for the 日 and the 月 because the 花 is wilting, and is full of sadness and depression. And so the 日 and the 月 set off on a path down the 川 to find the 花 a new 友達(friend)
Gan

Native language: English

RE: I know I'm a noob but...

Postby lostinagoodbook » Wed 02.22.2006 2:33 pm

I like the Kanji game so far! I'm totally new to Japanese, and I want to pick up on a few Kanji, and I love the fact that in just a couple of posts I have learned sun and moon! That's very encouraging.

If I may make a couple of suggestions as a newbie.

I like the sentence being in english with only a couple of Kanji thrown in. If it's going to be all romaji, and hiragana, then it will quickly get confusing and will take ever so long to get it all sorted out for myself. That's discouraging.

I would like to see it continue as it is here:

[small]But 今(now) the 日and the 月 had to find a plan sutible enough to make the 花 happy, which is hard for the 日 and the 月 because the 花 is wilting, and is full of sadness and depression. And so the 日 and the 月 set off on a path down the 川 to find the 花 a new 友達(friend)[/small]

I think the only thing I would like to see... is after the Kanji symbol for sun could you put the word in romaji in parenthesis or something? See I understand the Kanji word for "sun" now .. but I have no idea how to say it.

Of course, this is only assuming that your goal is helping newcomers like me. If you are intending this for a more advance audience, then disregard my suggestions.

Arigatou gozaimasu!
Crystal :)
lostinagoodbook

Postby Gan » Wed 02.22.2006 3:28 pm

I will repost!!!!!!

Romaji is bad.. If your learning 漢字「かんじ」 then why would you want to have messy rominization lying around everywhere? Its better to use かな.

But 今(now)「いま」 the 日「ひ」and the 月「つき」 had to find a plan sutible enough to make the 花「はな」 happy, which is hard for the 日「ひ」 and the 月「つき」 because the 花「はな」 is wilting, and is full of sadness and depression. And so the 日「ひ」 and the 月「つき」 set off on a path down the 川 to find the 花「はな」 a new 友達「ともだち」(friend)
Gan

Postby CrazzyWarrior » Wed 02.22.2006 3:43 pm

lostinagoodbook wrote:
I think the only thing I would like to see... is after the Kanji symbol for sun could you put the word in romaji in parenthesis or something? See I understand the Kanji word for "sun" now .. but I have no idea how to say it.
ok, to bring us up to speed then

format
Kanji(english, romanji (on reading)(kun reading))

今(now,ima,(on reading コン, キン)(kun reading いま))
日(sun, hi, (on ニチ, ジツ)(kun ひ, か))
月(moon, gatsu, (on ゲツ, ガツ)(kun つき))
花(flower, hana, (on カ)(kun はな))
川(river, kawa, (on セン)(kun かわ))
天(heaven;sky, ten, (on テン)(kun あま, あめ))
男(man, otoko, (on ダン, ナン)(kun おとこ))

The 川(river, kawa, (on セン)(kun かわ)) went ahead and found an elderly 男(man, otoko, (on ダン, ナン)(kun おとこ)). The 日(sun, hi, (on ニチ, ジツ)(kun ひ, か)) went over to talk to the 男(man, otoko, (on ダン, ナン)(kun おとこ)) and explained the problem and asked for his help.
私の名前はセスです。
Watashi no namae ha seth desu.
[英訳] The ko (accumulated wisdom) of an old man is more precious than the ko (shell) of a tortoise.
「甲」と「劫」が同音であるところからできたことわざ。「劫」は極めて長い時間のことをいう。年長者の経験は尊ぶべきである。
CrazzyWarrior

Postby richvh » Wed 02.22.2006 3:59 pm

Kanji vocabulary:

中(なか)naka - inside
花(はな)hana - flower
水(みず)mizu - water
上げる(あげる)ageru - to give
川(かわ)kawa - river
白い(しろい)shiroi - white
小さい(ちいさい)chiisai - small
日(ひ)hi - sun, day
見る(みる)miru - to see
月(つき)tsuki - moon
聞く(きく)kiku - to ask, to listen
日中(にちゅう)nicchuu - during the day
間(あいだ)aida - space, interval, time
人(ひと)hito - person
見つける(みつける)mitsukeru - to find
今(いま)ima - now
友達(ともだち)tomodachi - friend

Note: 友達 doesn't use 4kyuu kanji. Kanji can have more than one reading (witness 日hi plus 中naka becoming 日中nicchuu, though that can also be read hinaka - I'm not sure which is more common)

FushikoNishinho - 月 by itself is tsuki, not gatsu. So far as I know, it's only gatsu in month names, in other compounds it's usually getsu. I think you should only give the reading for the word you use, especially within the story; putting all the on and kun readings in there is too distracting.

Can't you guys write simpler sentences? その文を訳すことは、頭がいたいよ。
Last edited by richvh on Wed 02.22.2006 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby hamsterfreak4evr » Wed 02.22.2006 6:07 pm

;)i think romaji is bad, it will confuse people grammar wise. also, i dont think people should even BEGIN kanji until theyve at least mastered hiragana.
hamsterfreak4evr

Native language: english

Postby Ongakuka » Wed 02.22.2006 6:08 pm

Firstly, why not have two seperate games for people who want to learn Kanji meanings and one for people who understand Kana? It might not be a brilliant idea, but at least people would actually be able to participate in the game rather than a debate on how the game should be played.

たすける −That's a new word for me, Richvhsan is this used for any context concerning help/aid:)?
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby lostinagoodbook » Wed 02.22.2006 6:13 pm

Romaji is bad.. If your learning 漢字「かんじ」 then why would you want to have messy rominization lying around everywhere? Its better to use かな.

i think romaji is bad, it will confuse people grammar wise. also, i dont think people should even BEGIN kanji until theyve at least mastered hiragana.

You're both so right! Actually, I'm not set on Romaji, hiragana is perfect! So long as there's something that tells us how to pronounce the word.

lostinagoodbook

Postby richvh » Wed 02.22.2006 7:21 pm

Ongakuka wrote:
たすける −That's a new word for me, Richvhsan is this used for any context concerning help/aid:)?

According to edict:
助ける/救ける/輔ける/扶ける 【たすける】 (v1) to help, to save, to rescue, to give relief to, to spare (life), to reinforce, to promote, to abet, (P)
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Oracle » Wed 02.22.2006 7:32 pm

richvh wrote:
..witness 日hi plus 中naka becoming 日中nicchuu, though that can also be read hinaka - I'm not sure which is more common)

When you see 日中, 99.9999% of the time it will be にっちゅう
Oracle

Postby kohana » Wed 02.22.2006 8:03 pm

All right, I'm seeing that there are a lot of problems with the game.

ongakuka wrote:
Firstly, why not have two seperate games for people who want to learn Kanji meanings and one for people who understand Kana? It might not be a brilliant idea, but at least people would actually be able to participate in the game rather than a debate on how the game should be played.

That's a good idea, but it would have to run differently from the Kanji game. Ideas on how you'd do this?

I see the problems with using Romaji. I think it'll be okay to use kana, and I'll add a note to the first post asking to please learn kana before signing up for the game. :) (However, as I said before, my computer is having some trouble with typing kana, so I won't be able to do this till I can fix it. Sorry :( )

If this ends up being really confusing, it might be wisest just to drop it. :|
kohana

Postby hamsterfreak4evr » Wed 02.22.2006 10:44 pm

kohana wrote:
my computer is having some trouble with typing kana, so I won't be able to do this till I can fix it.

how are you setting the encoding up? maybe i can help...PM me:)
hamsterfreak4evr

Native language: english

Postby CrazzyWarrior » Wed 02.22.2006 11:30 pm

hamsterfreak4evr wrote:
kohana wrote:
my computer is having some trouble with typing kana, so I won't be able to do this till I can fix it.

how are you setting the encoding up? maybe i can help...PM me:)

i have read the FAQ's and some other ways with writing in japanese, but none of them work for me. i have WinXPHome, i lost my CD for Home, and i tried a method with Microsoft tools and that dident seam to work either.
私の名前はセスです。
Watashi no namae ha seth desu.
[英訳] The ko (accumulated wisdom) of an old man is more precious than the ko (shell) of a tortoise.
「甲」と「劫」が同音であるところからできたことわざ。「劫」は極めて長い時間のことをいう。年長者の経験は尊ぶべきである。
CrazzyWarrior

Postby kohana » Wed 02.22.2006 11:35 pm

FushikoNishinho wrote:
i have read the FAQ's and some other ways with writing in japanese, but none of them work for me. i have WinXPHome, i lost my CD for Home, and i tried a method with Microsoft tools and that dident seam to work either.

I read the FAQ's and followed the directions. I have XP Home edition and it says to insert the Professional edition CD, which I did, and it doesn't work. :o
kohana

Postby richvh » Thu 02.23.2006 8:16 am

You can copy and paste from another program with built-in IME (Wakan, JWPce, or JLookup for example; this is what I do at my work computer), borrow a friend's CD to install the IME, take your computer to a local computer store to have them install it, buy another copy of Win XP Home...
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Previous

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips