Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Da yo.

Da yo.

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Da yo.

Postby Hensha » Sat 03.04.2006 1:59 am

What is the translation of Da yo?

Like 何だよ? Is it a short version of ですか?
Hensha

RE: Da yo.

Postby amego » Sat 03.04.2006 2:40 am

I think so :D Its the informal version of desu and desu ka.
amego

Postby richvh » Sat 03.04.2006 8:44 am

No, it isn't a short version of ですか, it's the plain form of ですよ。 I don't know why よ would be used in a question (like 何だよ), as it normally indicates that the preceding sentence is the speaker's opinion or something the listener ought to know. In fact, normally だ is left out of questions, as well.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Beau » Sat 03.04.2006 9:40 am

Yes, it's desu yo in plain form. However, it has more than one meaning. I'll deal with yo, not "da yo" since this is obviously what we're having trouble with. Yo is used to indicate that the speaker believes the information they are presenting to the listener is new. It can also be used as an intensifier, i.e., it can be used to add emphasis, and in this respect, it could almost be said to be a verbal exclamation mark. So much depends on tone. "Nan da yo?", depending on intonation and tone could mean anything from"What??" with a hint of disbelief, ranging all the way to "What the hell??".
由っちゃん に よって る で。。。
由香理、何時も一緒に いたいわ。

相 縁 機 縁
相 思 相 愛
Beau

Postby Hensha » Sat 03.04.2006 12:34 pm

so, is "yo" basically like ... you know?

Neko desu yo. It's a cat, you know? Or what?

Inu desu yo? It's a dog! or It's a dog, you know?

Sonfuced.
Hensha

Postby Sachi » Sat 03.04.2006 3:01 pm

Actually, I would translate something like “neko desu yo” to mean “It is a cat, I tell you”. The “yo” adds emphasis. Uncertainties are usually expressed with “ne”, correct? So saying “It is a dog, you know?”, I would say “inu desu ne”. Maybe I’m not totally correct, but I’ll post a little something from my textbook on “yo/ne”:

‘Statements often end with the tag ne or yo, depending on the way the speaker views the interaction with the listener. If the speaker is seeking the listener’s confirmation or agreement to what has been said, then ne (“right?”) could be added. Another particle, yo (“I tell you”), is added to a statement if the speaker wants to assure the listener of what has been said. With yo added, a statement becomes an authoritative decree.’

Excerpt copyright textbook Genki: An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese vol. 1 published by The Japan Times
Sachi

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips