Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Immersion Programs

Immersion Programs

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Immersion Programs

Postby Shibakoen » Fri 03.24.2006 10:32 pm

I am looking for Japanese immersion programs that would be good for improving my Japanese dramatically, to a point where I can get a job and possibly pass the level two of the Japanese Proficiency exam.

OK. I think I've reached a plateau in my Japanese learning. :( Well, at least I don't think I can learn anymore while in school, on my own, 6000 miles from Japan. I'm going to be finishing Grad school in May and I want to start an immersion program soon after that. The keys to the program would have to be this: they need to offer classes to adults (several of the ones I've seen online on geared for undergraduate study abroad programs or for high school/college-prep classes), they need to offer a way to improve dramatically (from high-level Beginner to Advanced, hopefully at least level 2 on the JLPT), and hopefully offer business Japanese.

Anyway, I'm just hoping any of you guys know of programs like that which you can recommend. Please either post here or PM me if you are uncomfortable endorsing a particular program publicly. Also, advice on programs to AVOID would also be useful. Thanks in advance!!!:)
Shibakoen

RE: Immersion Programs

Postby Kisshu » Fri 03.24.2006 11:19 pm

I own the instant Immersion Japanese Program, which is geared toward someone who is moving to Japan.. it contains plenty of business language as well as some other phrases and junk like that. I wouldn't recommend it however if you don't know basic grammitical structure. Since it IS an immersion program, it doesn't go in depth in it, and tends to just tell you what it is, and what the meanings are.. I have also noticed a few msitake, but they are easily noticeable.

Good luck in your studies!:D
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

Postby AJBryant » Fri 03.24.2006 11:21 pm

I went to Takushoku University in Tokyo for a year in 1986-87 -- it was a year-long program (corresponding to the Japanese university school-year), classes five days a week for eight hours a day. Serious immersion. I was popping Bufferin like they were M&Ms.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Shibakoen » Fri 03.24.2006 11:27 pm

AJBryant wrote:
I went to Takushoku University in Tokyo for a year in 1986-87 -- it was a year-long program (corresponding to the Japanese university school-year), classes five days a week for eight hours a day. Serious immersion. I was popping Bufferin like they were M&Ms.

Tony

Did you go there while you were still an undergrad because I'm looking for something that is aimed more toward business people/career changers than Uni students, know what I mean? Not because I think the program will be less effective, but because I'm really looking for something that's more short-term (like three months or so). If I were still an undergrad, I would so totally be up for a Study Abroad program, but I really don't think those would be feasible for me now (unless you knew people who had already graduated and were doing that kind of thing...).

*Edit* I thought I should clarify why I'm not looking for university study abroad programs. When you do those you generally take a bunch of classes, like a regular college student, that aren't related to Japanese (and often aren't taught in Japanese). I'm looking for something where the only classes I'd be taking are Japanese language classes (maybe some culture classes to break the monotony) and more short-term as I said above.

I realize summer programs are going to have their application deadlines approaching very soon, so any advice y'all have would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Shibakoen on Sat 03.25.2006 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shibakoen

Postby Shibakoen » Sun 03.26.2006 12:58 pm

Actually, I've had a bit of a change in heart when it comes to the Uni programs. I've looked into a few and they look like they'd be a good thing to do. Thanks for the heads up Papa Tony.
Shibakoen

Postby keatonatron » Sun 03.26.2006 1:16 pm

Don't look for a university study abroad program then. :D

There are many language schools that teach only Japanese. The students are still called 留学生, and they offer exchange-student visas, but they only teach Japanese.

The difficult thing with "business Japanese" is that you kinda need to know normal Japanese before you can learn business Japanese. I'm not exactly sure, but I think "Business English" is just a difficulty level that comes after "Advanced English".

I'm attending the YMCA College's language program right now. The YMCA was started in Japan in the 1800's some time, long before it became the fruity institution is in the States. The program I'm in is very good (although I have nothing to compare it to), and very rigorous (although only 6 hours a day, so less rigorous than Tony had it, I guess). The terms last 6 months, starting in April and October (you're probably too late to register for the next term).

There are other language schools that might fit your needs better, perhaps offering shorter programs or programs geared towards business people. Although my program does have a lot of older people in it (and is definately "adult level") most students are preparing for their first college career. I know it can be hard to find schools, and the worst part is that it's hard to know which school is good until you go to Japan and start visiting a few...
keatonatron

Postby crowfeather » Thu 04.06.2006 9:36 pm

Have you checked with Brigham Young University in Utah?
It is my understanding that their language programs are all immersion. Students must live on campus. They assign students to living quarters based on the language they are learning. All communications on campus must be in the language they are learning. They have instructors in the dorm who will help with translations , but no one is allowed to speak in a language other than the one they are learning. I am sure one learns a language very quickly this way.
Someone correct me if my information is wrong.
Barbara
Last edited by crowfeather on Thu 04.06.2006 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crowfeather

Postby AJBryant » Sat 04.08.2006 10:05 am

Did you go there while you were still an undergrad because I'm looking for something that is aimed more toward business people/career changers than Uni students, know what I mean?

No, it was a post-grad program. Only a few of the students were academics. Many were moving to Japan for work or something (the largest percentage of students in the program were Chinese).

Sophia University in Tokyo also has a language program. Most of the "immersion" programs are NOT aimed at undergrads -- they represent an entire year of nothing but language study, and tend to be populated by students who have a BA and plan to go on to graduate study but first want to REALLY rack up their ability with Japanese.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

RE: japanese immersion

Postby Lola23 » Mon 04.10.2006 10:29 am

If your looking for a serious immersion program I would highly recommend the summer japanese study program run by Middlebury College in Vermont. It focuses on all around improvement. It doesn't have classes that are specific to business Japanese but I think its the best program out there if you want to make significant improvement in the a short amount of time. The (possible) turn off though is that you live and go to class on campus for 2 to 3 months during the summer and you sign a contract to speak nothing but Japanese for the entire time that you're there studying or you can be kicked out of the program (no refunds).
It sounds intense and it is, I did it this last summer to prepare for a year studying abroad here in Japan, but its worth it. You make real, tangible improvement, especially for beginners, and for those who know some Japanese already, it cements things that you may have already learned.

Here's the weblink if it interests you. http://www.middlebury.edu/academics/ls

good luck
Lola23

Postby Shibakoen » Mon 04.10.2006 6:21 pm

Dude, that sounds like what I need. Something that's no nonscence and something where I have to use Japanese and can't get by with English. Thanks y'all! Still applying and looking into places so keep the suggestions coming! Thanks!

----
Edit*

The issue I'm running into is that almost all of the Application deadlines have passed for the Fall Semester or for many of the summer schools. This is the good thing about companies like NOVA, you can just walk up and take classes. Granted they're not exactly as effective as I need for Japanese, but hopefully you get what I mean. I'm kicking myself for not thinking about this earlier. I'd been focused on applying for jobs instead of more school for the past year, but when I finally started talking to headhunters when I visited they were all like "your resume looks great but you need Japanese language skills." Arg. (...a mysterious thumping is heard by forum visitors as I bang my head against the wall repeatedly...)
Last edited by Shibakoen on Mon 04.10.2006 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shibakoen

Postby chiisu321 » Sun 07.23.2006 11:39 pm

I know it's an over used saying, but have you tried google?
I've found a number of programs by searching things like 'japanese exchange programs' 'japanese langugage programs' study abroad in japan' Etc.

Good luck
chiisu321

Postby Ezrach » Mon 07.24.2006 10:19 am

This is just a side note to the issue, but level 2 JLPT is more of a "standard living Japanese" level.
Level 1 JLPT is business level Japanese.

I don't know what kind of job you were insinuating - anything from Jonathan's family restaurant to NEC would qualify as a job. There are some companies that only require a level 2, but anything heavy in business in Japan will require passing level 1.
Ezrach

Postby MushikoKr » Mon 08.14.2006 11:29 pm

What about the Waseda University intensive program in Tokyo?? Has anyone heard anything about that program?? I also already have a BA and want some intensive Japanese programs...
Last edited by MushikoKr on Mon 08.14.2006 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MushikoKr

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips