Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - No Romaji?

No Romaji?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

No Romaji?

Postby Inkwings » Sat 03.25.2006 10:30 pm

I'm just beginning to learn Japanese, but there is something I would like to clear up before I get too confused.

I've been hearing some people who learn Japanese without using romanji, but I don't get how they can. Like, when you identify the characters, don't you have to connect them to a sound so you can say the word?

I'm really confused, so if anyone can help me out, I'd be really grateful! Thank you!

Edit: Ahh! I said "romaNji" Sorry, guys!
Last edited by Inkwings on Sun 03.26.2006 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inkwings

RE: No Romanji?

Postby S-san » Sat 03.25.2006 10:35 pm

I don't know if this helps or is why people do that but, it might be because they really take to Hiragana and Katakana and use that instead. I won't suggest one way or another, you should find your own way of learning things that fits you.
愛  尊敬  刃  真保する  湯人  気  忠義な
                 心  
S-san

Postby crowfeather » Sat 03.25.2006 11:13 pm

I am just a beginner, but here is my experience.
I tried pronouncing the words using romanji and it was so confusing that I felt like giving up. When you look at a word like "Hajimemashite" in romanji where do you start to break it into syllables to say it?

Then I took the time to learn the hiragana and it made a world of difference. Each symbol represents a phonetic sound and the pronounciation of the words is so much easier.
は  じ め  ま  し  て
ha ji me ma shi te

In addition to that, there is a dictionary that uses little kana over the kanji ( the Chinese characters) so you know how to pronounce them.

If you just want to learn a few phases to go on vacation to Japan then the romanji will do, but if you really want to learn Japanese I think learning the kana and kanji are vital.
In my opinion it is well worth the time to learn the kana ( hiragana and katakana)

Just my thoughts
Barbara

Last edited by crowfeather on Sat 03.25.2006 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crowfeather

Postby Christian_ » Sat 03.25.2006 11:21 pm

Hi, Ill help you clear up some questions, first off its pronounced Romaji not Romanji. In Japanese there are 3 writing systems they are

ひらがな ~ Hiragana, This is a system of writing that is used in Children's books, used as word endings, grammar, words not in kanji learn this first.

カタカナ ~ Katakana, This is used mainly for foriegn words and italisiced things. Eventually you will learn when this is used.

ひらがな ~ Hiragana and カタカナ ~ Are called together かな ~ Kana.

漢字 ~ かんじ ~ Kanji, These are like the Nouns, Verbs, Main words of Japanese ( Japanese is called 日本語 ~ にほんご ~ Nihongo) They are written with ひらがな ~ Hiragana. An Example of this is 見る ~ みる ~ Miru, to see.

I hope that answered your questions, Hiragana and Katakana are needed to learn Japanese, learn them first. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT I REPEAT learn with Romaji, it will only hurt you immensly. Anymore questions?;)

クリスチャン ~ Kurisuchan
Goals:
1) Have decent proficiency in Japanese, enough to get around/talk/read/write.
2) Visit Japan for a week or so one summer.
Christian_

Postby Inkwings » Sat 03.25.2006 11:22 pm

crowfeather wrote:
I tried pronouncing the words using romanji and it was so confusing that I felt like giving up. When you look at a word like "Hajimemashite" in romanji where do you start to break it into syllables to say it?

Then I took the time to learn the hiragana and it made a world of difference. Each symbol represents a phonetic sound and the pronounciation of the words is so much easier.
は  じ め  ま  し  て
ha ji me ma shi te

In addition to that, there is a dictionary that uses little kana over the kanji ( the Chinese characters) so you know how to pronounce them.

If you just want to learn a few phases to go on vacation to Japan then the romanji will do, but if you really want to learn Japanese I think learning the kana and kanji are vital.
In my opinion it is well worth the time to learn the kana ( hiragana and katakana)

Just my thoughts
Barbara

Thank you so much! I understand now!! :D
Inkwings

Postby crowfeather » Sat 03.25.2006 11:43 pm

Kurisuchan,
Romaji!! not romanji
Thank you.
My goal in life has always been to never let a day end without learning something. :)
Barbara
crowfeather

Postby AJBryant » Sun 03.26.2006 1:24 am

Romaji!! not romanji

You beat me to it. Dang.... I really wanted to use my "bloody rant" icon again...

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Ripana Fugu » Sun 03.26.2006 1:35 am

Hola Amigo's... oh wait, wrong language. I may not be keeping up with the conversation, but oh well.

は  じ め  ま  し  て
ha ji me ma shi te

Crowfeather, I had the same problem. Lol. I think that is pretty common.

P.S. What study teqniqes did you find helped you in your hiragana practice the most?
Ripana Fugu=Splendid blowfish
Ripana Fugu

RE: No Romaji?

Postby crowfeather » Mon 03.27.2006 12:35 am

Ripana Fugu,
I bought the book, "A Guide to Learning Hiragana & Katakana" by Kenneth G. Henshall with Tetsuo Takagaki.
ISNB: 0-8048-1663-8.
It not only teaches the kana, but it has several mini tests and at least 100 words to practice.
Each day I learned 5 new hiragana plus reviewed all those that I knew.

Now that I know all of the hiragana I write the entire syllabary from memory each day. It only takes a few minutes and it insures that I won't forget them.

I can't read the kana as quicky as I read English words. Generally I need to sound out each character. However, occassionally when I see a group of hiragana and immediately know the word it brightens my day. :).
I have a book titled "Survival Japanese" All of the phases are in English, romaji and kana so I have reading practice material.

Now I am learning the katakana using the same system. It has worked for me.

Right now, my biggest problem is that my vocabulary is very limited. As soon as I have the katakana memorized I plan to go back and learn all of the words in the kana book to increase my vocabulary.

Several people here have used computer sites that teach the kana. I prefer a book, but that is just my way of learning.
I hope this helps
Barbara
Last edited by crowfeather on Mon 03.27.2006 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
crowfeather

Postby shikamarufoo » Mon 03.27.2006 12:50 am

When I started learning I forgot about writing/reading in romanji and just looked at the hiragana/katakana character...it helps out alot and I think helps you learn faster. Like you should try to remember the hiragana character and sound instead of reading it in romaji. I think I'm pretty much saying what crowfeather said except his is much more helpful, though I'm agreeing with crowfeather's way of learning. Just try out different things and see what works for you;).
shikamarufoo

Postby CrazzyWarrior » Mon 03.27.2006 1:02 am

crowfeather wrote:

は  じ め  ま  し  て
ha ji me ma shi te

Barbara

well with me, i found it easier to learn the romaji to get the pronounciations(SP?) for it and then associate the characters to the sounds rather then the sounds to the characters. i learned that its based aound vowles and consonant/vowel combos plus n and i can read the romaji by remembering that, and now im working to get the kana's, katakana then hiragana.
Last edited by CrazzyWarrior on Mon 03.27.2006 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
私の名前はセスです。
Watashi no namae ha seth desu.
[英訳] The ko (accumulated wisdom) of an old man is more precious than the ko (shell) of a tortoise.
「甲」と「劫」が同音であるところからできたことわざ。「劫」は極めて長い時間のことをいう。年長者の経験は尊ぶべきである。
CrazzyWarrior

Postby AJBryant » Mon 03.27.2006 3:18 am

When I started learning I forgot about writing/reading in romanji

Romaji! Romaji! There's no N!

Tony
Last edited by AJBryant on Mon 03.27.2006 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby hyperconjugated » Mon 03.27.2006 5:06 am

Maybe they are further using a modified translitteration of Latin aphabet where extra n is added between a and j. This would make romanji acceptable , doesn't it ANJBryant? :)
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby IkimashoZ » Mon 03.27.2006 9:41 am

That icon is disgusting. However, in principle, I do agree with you about correcting people's usage of the non-word "romanji". This doesn't make your icon any less gross.
Ist das einen Kanji, dass ich gefunden habe??
IkimashoZ

Postby AJBryant » Mon 03.27.2006 10:41 am

Glad ya like it. Kinda gets the point across. :)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Next

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips