Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Problems GYO は

Problems GYO は

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Problems GYO は

Postby KINGZ » Sun 07.09.2006 11:40 pm

has anyone else have a problem with hearing GYO は ひ ふ へ ほ in a word.

ie
へや 
ふゆ 
ふとい
ひこうき
it seems my ears do not pick the H GYO up all the time. When I hear these words spoken in native tung, and try to spell them out in Hiragana. I dont always hear the H parts or in my head I replace it with a different H.

Then again, my old man was a Musician and I think he killed my hearing when I was young. :D

oh I sometimes dont always hear the う in some words too. If I know how many kana syllable there are in a word I can usaly pick it out 99.5% of the time.

Last edited by KINGZ on Sun 07.09.2006 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KINGZ

RE: Problems GYO は

Postby CajunCoder » Fri 07.14.2006 1:36 pm

Ah, finally figured out what you meant by "GYO".
The correct term is 行 (ぎょう)・・・ *Restrains the urge to go on a rant about chopping off important vowels when romanizing Japanese*

They can be a little hard to hear at times, but if you listen to Japanese a lot you'll get used to it. One thing you may notice early on, is that ふ has a bit more of an... "airy-H" sound than the english "f". Just keep using kana as much as you can, and listen carefully for the syllables when you hear Japanese.
Last edited by CajunCoder on Fri 07.14.2006 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CajunCoder

Postby hungryhotei » Fri 07.14.2006 2:33 pm

To add to what coder said,
Its not H GYO its 'ha-gyou'

And while we are at it its tongue not tung. :D

On the actual topic, just gets lots of listening practce in and you'll gradually get better at hearing the sounds. Its not really something to worry about, and not something that is really very easy to help with over the internet.
Last edited by hungryhotei on Fri 07.14.2006 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
天気がいいから、散歩しましょう。
hungryhotei

Native language: English

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 07.14.2006 2:46 pm

you know, i understand the correcting of (romanji) roumaji typo's, but I think I am going to blow a gasket if someone else corrects another typo.. we all do it.. just let it go. I am sure the person was unintentionally doing such.. of course, if I know it bothers you, I might just typo everything just because.. arghhh.. can we lighten up just a scosh? huh? please?
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby KINGZ » Fri 07.14.2006 3:10 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
you know, i understand the correcting of (romanji) roumaji typo's, but I think I am going to blow a gasket if someone else corrects another typo.. we all do it.. just let it go. I am sure the person was unintentionally doing such.. of course, if I know it bothers you, I might just typo everything just because.. arghhh.. can we lighten up just a scosh? huh? please?

wow :o Thank you, I should really proof read what I write sometimes. Now as for the use of "GYO" well, that was my crap software that showed me that. lol now I know. Thank you.
I'm trying something different now to attune my ears better. I'm playing some movies in Japanese and setting the subtitle to Japanese. I may not understand most of what I'm hearing, but I'm recognizing the Hiragana and the words to a point. This is more of an attempt to train my ears and quickly visualize the Hiragana than to pick up any vocabulary or grammar. :D
KINGZ

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips