Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - what would you recommend

what would you recommend

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

what would you recommend

Postby orthen » Mon 07.10.2006 2:12 pm

well basically i want to learn and i thought i should get some text books or something that i can work through but i dont know really about any and theres a lot of threads about them but im not sure which to get. so if you could help me by telling me what you would recommend id be thankful :) its just i think learning the kanji will be very hard without some sort of guidance.

and should i get anything like some childrens books in japanese if i can get hold of any to start doing some basic reading, i know the hiragana and have started on the katakana...

orthen

RE: what would you recommend

Postby clay » Mon 07.10.2006 2:23 pm

Hi Orthen,

Welcome to TJP! I would highly recommend getting a single textbook and just work with that to start. It almost doesn't matter what you choose. The two that I am most familiar with are the Japanese for Busy People series and the Genki series.
http://www.thejapanshop.com/home.php?cat=70

Infidel-san is working on a project that would be most helpful for you:
http://thejapanesepage.com/w/index.php?title=Selecting_a_Japanese_Textbook
clay
Site Admin

Postby kanadajin » Mon 07.10.2006 2:52 pm

its just i think learning the kanji will be very hard without some sort of guidance.

Yeah, Take it from me.. It's very hard. So as Clay suggested try the genki series or JFBP.
kanadajin

Postby orthen » Mon 07.10.2006 3:35 pm

ok thanks ill see if a can try and get one of those. Do either of these series of books start to cover the kanji or would i need something seperate for that ?
orthen

Postby kanadajin » Mon 07.10.2006 4:18 pm

im not sure about JFBP but the genki series covers some kanji.

Scroll to the bottem
Last edited by kanadajin on Mon 07.10.2006 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kanadajin

Postby battousai » Mon 07.10.2006 5:05 pm

I only have the kana versions of all the JFBP books so I'm not sure about the normal versions, but other than using kanji in all of the dialogues and exercises, they basically introduce 10 or so kanji at the end of each chapter. Genki on the other hand has the whole back section of the book dedicated to kanji, so it is a bit more in-depth in that regard.
battousai

Postby Infidel » Mon 07.10.2006 5:27 pm

kanadajin wrote:
im not sure about JFBP but the genki series covers some kanji.

Scroll to the bottem

hehe, thanks for the link. :) That page is still a work in progress.

Nowadays, Elementary Japanese is a bit better than JfBP. I even rate Colloquial Japanese higher. When I say better I mean more balanced. I never liked the extremely slow rate that kanji were introduced in JfBP. Total of 20 for book 1 and even then in the appendix, not in the lessons. It's also dissapointing because by the end of an entire book, You've barely scratched the surface. I think by the end of a book you should have a better grounding in the grammar.

For a person on a budget Colloquial Japanese seems to be the best value. Elementary Japanese the next best value and Genki the best system if money is no object. All are good enough, the main difference is the amount drills and exercises available. If a student is good at making up their own exercises, then Colloquial Japanese is fine.

Colloquial Japanese - Good stuff, relatively cheap.
Elementary Japanese - Better stuff, more costly
Genki - Highest quality, most costly.
Genki is rated the highest mainly because I haven't gotten a chance to compare it directly to Nakama, Minna no Nihongo, and Nihongo no Kiso.
Last edited by Infidel on Mon 07.10.2006 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips